CWWK i5-1235U 6 port i226 report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

iceman_jkh

Mar 21, 2023
My 8505 temps reached 67C tonight, while the box was just sitting "idle" (i.e.: routing <20MBps traffic).
This seems high. I only noticed this temp after orienting the box on its 'edge' (LAN ports facing ceiling).

Based on skimikes' observations of box orientation, I expected temps to improve not get worse.
It's too early to claim that the orientation caused the issue, but I am wondering if there's any pfsense packages like Netdata that can log temps so I can leave it logging for a day or two and compare orientations properly.

skimikes

Jun 27, 2022
Thanks @skimikes. Whenever you get time, that would be great.
I'm considering trying that unlocked BIOS...or waiting for that new one that fta is trying to get hold of.
I went through every menu in the unlocked BIOS @fta provided and I cannot find an option that references QAT, so it may be capable but not exposed. I'm not sure what is required of the BIOS to expose it.

• Sad
Reactions: iceman_jkh

skimikes

Jun 27, 2022
My 8505 temps reached 67C tonight, while the box was just sitting "idle" (i.e.: routing <20MBps traffic).
This seems high. I only noticed this temp after orienting the box on its 'edge' (LAN ports facing ceiling).

Based on skimikes' observations of box orientation, I expected temps to improve not get worse.
It's too early to claim that the orientation caused the issue, but I am wondering if there's any pfsense packages like Netdata that can log temps so I can leave it logging for a day or two and compare orientations properly.
From what you've written, it sounds like the processor does not have good contact with the cooling block. If it is better horizontally, then gravity is providing some assistance that you're losing when it is vertical. If you're comfortable taking it apart, you may want to do so and repaste and verify contact surfaces are in fact making contact.

Hotcooler

Mar 25, 2023
I went through every menu in the unlocked BIOS @fta provided and I cannot find an option that references QAT, so it may be capable but not exposed. I'm not sure what is required of the BIOS to expose it.
From what I understand looking at QAT engine on github, it does not support consumer chips at all. Intel ARC thing might mean that it gets support if paired with some sort of server chipset or something, but I dont think we'll be able to get that thing rolling.

iceman_jkh

Mar 21, 2023
Thanks for checking. :)
I'm happy enough with the current processing power, but QAT would be nice if it became available.

I think I have some errant processes that are causing the issue. I tried "top -aSH" but didn't see much. I'm going to keep an eye on it.
I also copied/imported a lot of settings from my previous NetGate4860 box across, and maybe there's a conflicting rule/setting (that I've clumsily copied across). I'm hoping to get netdata running so I can check temps and what processes are running before I disassemble. (But that's a decent suggestion of yours). I have the black chassis being sent to me, so I will be disassembling at some point regardless..and I'll repaste then for sure.

iceman_jkh

Mar 21, 2023
It's laying flat (on base) again, but I'm getting awful temps.
Ranges from 55-80C :( (~5 sec intervals.)
CPU utilisation is ~1%.
1681612368555.png

iceman_jkh

Mar 21, 2023
Update:
I opened the box and cleaned and applied new thermal paste. It didn't look like the previous paste was too bad to be honest.
New temps are 56-63C with <1% CPU load, running stock pfSense 23.01 (with no configs/pkgs loaded and receiving IP address from a DHCP server).

I was expecting a lot lower idle temps (eg: sitting ~35C).. so I'm not sure what's going on with this box/BIOS/settings.

1681643770542.png

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
is pfsense utilizing any powersaving by default?
its possible that pfsense runs the cpu at full power, never clocking down.
on pfsense there is something called powerd which seems to be responsible for powersaving. is that configured and on?

iceman_jkh

Mar 21, 2023
It's possible, as powerd is OFF.
However, the CPU is constantly idle (<1% usage), so I figured powerd was not even relevant yet.

I'm going to install win10 and aida64 to see if I get similar temps as the Chinese video linked earlier in this thread.

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
even if idle the cpu would be constantly running at maximum frequency burning unneccesary amounts of power and getting hot.
modern cpus are not cool because they idle, they are cool because powersave mechanisms reduce their clocks and even turn off parts of the cpu when not needed.
your device doesnt do that.

iceman_jkh

Mar 21, 2023
That's fair.
In the interest of science, I've booted the box with the powerd set to HiAdaptive.

What that does not explain however, is that the temps seen in this video (even at 100% CPU) are much lower than I'm getting in pfsense idle.

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
my temps under load (stresstesting) with my 120mm fan off can reach 100 degrees on the performance core and over 80 on the efficency cores.
when not stresstesting my temperatures jump around between 41 degrees and 80+ degrees depending on activity inside the vms and containers.
so not too far away from yours.
may i ask if the device is located in some tight space with not much room above it maybe preventing proper air circulation?
mine is basically sitting in the open so heat convection can properly work.

for about 2 weeks now i have a 120mm fan (from an old cpu cooler) laying on top of the unit connected to the internal pwm port.
it runs extremely slow by default and is 100% inaudible even in a dead quiet room.

with that fan on, temperatures are never a problem.

also are you still running the stock bios, or the one fta provided?
the stock bios doesnt have HWP enabled which prevents certain powersave mechanisms from working properly.

iceman_jkh

Mar 21, 2023
may i ask if the device is located in some tight space with not much room above it maybe preventing proper air circulation?
mine is basically sitting in the open so heat convection can properly work.

also are you still running the stock bios, or the one fta provided?
the stock bios doesnt have HWP enabled which prevents certain powersave mechanisms from working properly.
Currently, it's sitting out in the open, horizontally, on a bench. Ambient temp is about 21C.
Stock BIOS as well. I will update to fta's (or the newer one he's hunting), but wanted to resolve these temps first before changing anything/too many things.

I do think your comment about clock speed and temp is valid however, as I'm watching a definite correlation between the two using:
Code:
 sysctl -a | grep -i 'dev.cpu.*.freq:' ; sysctl -a | grep -i 'dev.cpu.*.temperature' ; sysctl -a | grep -i 'dev.cpu.*cx_usage:'
(the cx_usage is always 100% though, which doesn't reflect the 0% showing via "top -P".)

EDIT: If I spam the sysctl command, I see the CPU% jump to 10-15% on top -P. So it does work. I guess it just doesn't show easily without a graph to log the brief spikes.

Last edited:

iceman_jkh

Mar 21, 2023
5 second intervals between each sysctl command.
Seems to show that the temp increases in line with the clock speed increase, which is caused by me executing the command.

1681651082734.png

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
the 2500mhz in your output is also a dead giveaway that hwp is off.
with ftas bios the cores will boost to 3300 mhz on the efficiency cores and 4400 mhz on the performance cores (which is their spec on 8505, the i3 and i5s might go higher).
with the default bios 2500 mhz was the max i could get.

edit: this is all under linux though, i never ran freebsd native on this hardware.

skimikes

Jun 27, 2022
My idle temps with the 8505 (proxmox running pfsense):
Code:
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +23.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:        +23.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 8:        +21.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 9:        +21.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 10:       +22.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 11:       +22.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
During prime95 small fft (max heat/power) running on the hypervisor:
Code:
coretemp-isa-0000
Package id 0: +100.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:       +100.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 8:        +94.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 9:        +94.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 10:       +94.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 11:       +94.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
It will remain there for some amount of time before dropping to:
Code:
coretemp-isa-0000
Package id 0:  +64.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:        +64.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 8:        +61.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 9:        +61.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 10:       +61.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 11:       +61.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
And then when I stop the test (~1-2 seconds after):
Code:
coretemp-isa-0000
Package id 0:  +28.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:        +28.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 8:        +26.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 9:        +26.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 10:       +26.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 11:       +26.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
So I am getting pretty much the best cooling the case is capable of.

I would expect your temps to be comparable as long as good contact is being made.

On the units I received from Topton, I had to repaste both between the copper block and the chassis and the copper block and the processor. The unit from cwwk.net was in excellent shape and did not require repasting (the one tested above).

Reactions: TXAG26

miki1982es

Mar 29, 2023
Hi everyone! I finally received my CWWK 1235U.

Yesterday I started configuring, and applying BIOS HWP. For now I can inform that:

- It supports a 512GB microSD Card.
- After some black screen issues, I finally could install Proxmox 7.4 VE. I disabled boot, and had to connect to my monitor using Display Port instead of HDMI Port (with HDMI port I was not able at all).

For now I'm just testing Proxmox. I formatted fist drive as ZFS and I'm checking it. I will keep you updated

Hotcooler

Mar 25, 2023
Well I also recieved mine today. Sadly I'm pretty sure it's DOA. Produces absolutely no sounds no beeps no nothing with or without ram and power led immediately turns off with only the HDD led constantly on. Looked into a thermal camera and as soon as I plug in the barrel jack ASmedia USB controller ligths up which kinda makes sence, since USB seem to get power all the time, and after I power it on only half of the CPU power phases seem to get warmer, suggesting something is rather wrong with the thing. Still complete lack of beeping is very odd. I'm pretty sure most mobo's beep at you when you have no CPU installed.