CWWK i5-1235U 6 port i226 report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

skimikes

Jun 27, 2022
Can you elaborate further on this?
Adding nomodeset during boot prevented the blank screen for me but the graphical installer could not be loaded.
So I ended up using 7.1x installer instead. So how did you launch the installer?
Unfortunately it is in production at the moment so I can't pull it out and replicate what I did. I had the same issue as you but I solved it with some combination of intel modeset switches in Proxmox GRUB boot loader kernel command line. I don't recall more than that because it's been over a month now. The last time I rebooted the unit was 15 days ago to pick up the latest Proxmox updates. I installed Proxmox via USB using an IODD and it would blank after a page or so of kernel dmesg output on startup when it tries to switch modes. I assume the iGPU component is just too new for the older kernel to handle.

986box

Oct 14, 2017
Are there any Chinese speakers here? There is a new BIOS available for this box that has the power issues fixed, but I haven't been able to figure out how to download it. If someone could grab it for me, I would appreciate it. The BIOS is here (access code: ys0z). I got the link from a CWWK video post.
enter the access code after opening the link. On the next page, the 3 options at the bottom of the page are save to cloud, download browser and download file.

TheStefan

Apr 6, 2023
enter the access code after opening the link. On the next page, the 3 options at the bottom of the page are save to cloud, download browser and download file.
That's what I got trough google translate as well.
However when trying to download it asks to register and seems to need a Chinese phone number.
The question was, can someone download the file and make it available to non-Chinese people?

Hotcooler

Mar 25, 2023
This is the usual for Chinese services really. If it was pan baidu then I'd grab it for you guys, since that used to allow registering with foreign phone numbers at some point before 2021/22 I think and I have an account and even can do vip thing via prepaid codes so the DL speeds are not atrocious (actually paid DL speeds are really good up to gigabit for sure). Alas cant do much with other services.

Also newer comments on that video suggest it is a test bios only for 8505 and does nothing on 1235+

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
How would such an i5- 1235u box compare to Ryzen 5600u/5800u boxes with more I/O?
From what i can see, one would typically pay around 50$ more for a Ryzen box, but the I/O would be better.

And what would the idle power look like on this box with the "custom" BIOS?

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
i only have the 8505 box and mine has an average usage of 12% and it eats around 16 to 18 watts in that state (thats with usb adapters drawing power from it and a huge ass fan laying on top of it, running inaudible at minimum rpm, which is not necessary, but allows the cpu to stay on turbo basically infinitely).
it eats up to 50watts peak, averaging around 48 watts, when i hammer it with cpu stresstests such as s-tui

the i3 and i5 units should be similar on idle, but draw more power on load, since they are more powerful.
its also dependant on the configuration in the bios.
i allowed my cpu to use up to 30 watts (default is 15), so my power usage under stress is higher.
but this has no influence on idle, or near idle as my cpu is sitting on low speeds when its not busy due to powersave governor.

im sure there is more opimization potential there, but im quite happy with the thing.

Attachments

Reactions: STHUserB

ChrisP

Mar 22, 2023
At the end, I added the same fan setup :)
I had CPU temp at 45°C-50°C with low usage, I want to cool it a bit and the fan here is really really quiet.

I observe a constant IO delay at 1.6 % on Proxmox. It's not that bad, but not so good either. What could be the root cause of that ?

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
i have 2% io delay. no idea what causes it (maybe the fanxiang m.2 ssd im using) or it might be caused by the pc.
due to not having a bunch of ssds to test with i cant tell which is true :)

in my previous toption n5105 unit i had between 2 and 3% at all times (with the same ssd), so it might really be the specific ssd.

iceman_jkh

Mar 21, 2023
I'm running pfSense 23.01 bare metal on my Pentium 8505 i226 (after upgrading via the 2.6 CE pathway).
It shows temp as 27.9 C in the GUI and terminal
Code:
sysctl dev.cpu | grep temperature

1681217665022.png

The chassis feels a lot warmer (and considering temps from your posts), so I don't trust this reading.

Is there a better command to run to find the correct sensor/temp?
I'm cautious of installing other apps on pfSense in case it breaks something.

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
thats the acpi temperature.
seems to be some default value on the unit.
in linux i get the following sensors output:
Code:
root@pve:~# sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +30.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:        +29.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 8:        +29.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 9:        +29.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 10:       +29.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 11:       +29.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:        +27.8°C  (crit = +105.0°C)

nvme-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite:    +41.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +89.8°C)
                       (crit = +94.8°C)
Sensor 1:     +41.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 2:     +51.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)

root@pve:~#
you see the acpitz-acpi-0 temperature? suspiciously close to yours and i have never seen it change :)

as for pfsense temperature you could try the following.
Not sure if its still valid though.

iceman_jkh

Mar 21, 2023
you see the acpitz-acpi-0 temperature? suspiciously close to yours and i have never seen it change :)
Yea, I noticed that it's always the same value. Kinda useless :p
Thanks for the link. After following the link, dashboard now shows 37C and 48C. (switching between the two values every ~3 seconds, likely based on which sensor was read just prior to the page data refresh).
I'm guessing that one is the CPU and the other is.. chipset or something.
I'd prefer to have it locked to CPU, but it's already an improvement!
Thanks.

ChrisP

Mar 22, 2023
i have 2% io delay. no idea what causes it (maybe the fanxiang m.2 ssd im using) or it might be caused by the pc.
due to not having a bunch of ssds to test with i cant tell which is true :)

in my previous toption n5105 unit i had between 2 and 3% at all times (with the same ssd), so it might really be the specific ssd.
I'm using a standard M2 WD BLUE 570 1TB , maybe not optimised for heavy sequential writes, but I won't use more than 15 % of the total volume, and 600 TBW looks more than enough for what I plan for this box.

skimikes

Jun 27, 2022
I'm running pfSense 23.01 bare metal on my Pentium 8505 i226 (after upgrading via the 2.6 CE pathway).
It shows temp as 27.9 C in the GUI and terminal
Code:
sysctl dev.cpu | grep temperature

View attachment 28321

The chassis feels a lot warmer (and considering temps from your posts), so I don't trust this reading.

Is there a better command to run to find the correct sensor/temp?
I'm cautious of installing other apps on pfSense in case it breaks something.
For pfsense UI to show the correct temp, you'll want to use the Intel coretemp module:
System > Advanced > Miscellaneous > Cryptographic and Thermal Hardware > Thermal Sensors > Intel CPU* on-die thermal sensors

Command line should give you output similar to (this is a different unit but the gist is the same):
Code:
[23.01-RELEASE][root@pfsense.avifir.net]/root: sysctl -a | grep -i temp
coretemp0: <CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors> on cpu0
vm.pfault_oom_attempts: 3
net.inet6.ip6.use_tempaddr: 0
net.inet6.ip6.temppltime: 86400
net.inet6.ip6.tempvltime: 604800
net.inet6.ip6.prefer_tempaddr: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 27.9C
hw.usb.template: -1
kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.arc_tempreserve: 0
dev.coretemp.3.%parent: cpu3
dev.coretemp.3.%pnpinfo:
dev.coretemp.3.%location:
dev.coretemp.3.%driver: coretemp
dev.coretemp.3.%desc: CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors
dev.coretemp.2.%parent: cpu2
dev.coretemp.2.%pnpinfo:
dev.coretemp.2.%location:
dev.coretemp.2.%driver: coretemp
dev.coretemp.2.%desc: CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors
dev.coretemp.1.%parent: cpu1
dev.coretemp.1.%pnpinfo:
dev.coretemp.1.%location:
dev.coretemp.1.%driver: coretemp
dev.coretemp.1.%desc: CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors
dev.coretemp.0.%parent: cpu0
dev.coretemp.0.%pnpinfo:
dev.coretemp.0.%location:
dev.coretemp.0.%driver: coretemp
dev.coretemp.0.%desc: CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors
dev.coretemp.%parent:
dev.cpu.3.temperature: 42.0C
dev.cpu.3.coretemp.throttle_log: 0
dev.cpu.3.coretemp.tjmax: 105.0C
dev.cpu.3.coretemp.resolution: 1
dev.cpu.3.coretemp.delta: 63
dev.cpu.2.temperature: 42.0C
dev.cpu.2.coretemp.throttle_log: 0
dev.cpu.2.coretemp.tjmax: 105.0C
dev.cpu.2.coretemp.resolution: 1
dev.cpu.2.coretemp.delta: 63
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 41.0C
dev.cpu.1.coretemp.throttle_log: 0
dev.cpu.1.coretemp.tjmax: 105.0C
dev.cpu.1.coretemp.resolution: 1
dev.cpu.1.coretemp.delta: 64
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 41.0C
dev.cpu.0.coretemp.throttle_log: 0
dev.cpu.0.coretemp.tjmax: 105.0C
dev.cpu.0.coretemp.resolution: 1
dev.cpu.0.coretemp.delta: 64

Reactions: iceman_jkh

iceman_jkh

Mar 21, 2023
For pfsense UI to show the correct temp, you'll want to use the Intel coretemp module:
System > Advanced > Miscellaneous > Cryptographic and Thermal Hardware > Thermal Sensors > Intel CPU* on-die thermal sensors
Thanks.

I learnt a few things:
1. Using 'temp' instead of 'temperature' yielded more results.
2. I needed to reboot after switching to the Intel CPU sensor. Despite it seeming to work correctly (without reboot).

Latest results: seems pfsense is cycling through the CPU temps.
1681262150580.png

iceman_jkh

Mar 21, 2023
I was under the impression that Pentium 8505 had Quick Assist Technology (QAT) (8505 datasheet) although the pfsense dashboard disagrees.
1681291185915.png

Has anyone got QAT working on their systems?
I was hoping to use it for VPN/Wireguard traffic.

ChrisP

Mar 22, 2023
I have the same impression with OPNsense on proxmox, with VM CPU type set as host for the i3 1215u. AES is activated properly, but "dmesg | grep QAT" remains empty.

Maybe something to tweak in the BIOS ?

iceman_jkh

Mar 21, 2023
I'm hopeful that it's simply a matter of:
  • a hidden setting to be enabled,
  • a (small) patch/update to install, or
  • not yet being implemented by the software/kernel, and will come in a future update.

skimikes

Jun 27, 2022
I'm hopeful that it's simply a matter of:
  • a hidden setting to be enabled,
  • a (small) patch/update to install, or
  • not yet being implemented by the software/kernel, and will come in a future update.
I am running Proxmox with the 6.2.6 kernel and it didn't load the QAT modules. I loaded them manually but the QAT performance counters don't appear so, if that functionality exists (Intel ARK claims it does), it isn't exposed. I'm running the unlocked BIOS provided by @fta and I don't recall seeing it as an option. Unfortunately my 8505 is in production now so I can't just reboot it on a whim. I'll poke around in it on Saturday and see if I can find any relevant options but I suspect they're not there.

Reactions: iceman_jkh

iceman_jkh

Mar 21, 2023
Thanks @skimikes. Whenever you get time, that would be great.
I'm considering trying that unlocked BIOS...or waiting for that new one that fta is trying to get hold of.