Custom Cables

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Where can one procure the highest quality parts to construct custom SATA and SATA power cables? SATA connectors must be able to handle 12Gb/s, and power must not "pull" apart when using them.

What about Short vs. Long? Anyone see a reason to go long?

What I've found:

SATA POWER:
FrozenCPU ConnectRight DIY SATA EZ Crimp Connector - Black - 90° (M-SCA-16F-BK) - FrozenCPU.com

SATA Power Connector - Black - modDIY.com

This one cost 2x as much ($2/each vs 99 cents)
TKG Premium SATA Power Easy Crimp Connector (Black) - modDIY.com

SATA data connectors:
Serial ATA SATA Data Type-A 7-Pin Male Straight DIP Connector (Black) - modDIY.com

DIY SATA EZ Crimp Connector - Black - modDIY.com

What has everyone used, and what have you found the 'best' quality?
I hate to buy things twice, especially cheap things like this that are DIY where time > value than parts, would really like to get the "right" high-end parts from the start.

16ga Wire for the Power?
Looks like they suggest 18.

modDIY 18AWG Stranded Hook Up Wire UL1007 Approved (Black) - modDIY.com

What about heatshrink tubing, what size for 16ga?

(NEW) Ultra 4:1 Double-Wall Heat Shrinkable Tubing (4mm~52mm) - modDIY.com

What about protective outer weaves? What size for 16ga?
Deluxe High Density Weave Black Cable Sleeve (3mm) - modDIY.com

BTW, be careful on ModDIY.com my cart's already pushing $300 for misc parts to build a bunch of cool stuff!! LOL, if you like to DYI and build, wow... they have tons of options.

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Bringing an oldy back up.

Did you ever try out any of these sata power connectors? If so, any real differences between them?

I'm brainstorming some mods for the incoming s6500s for the rear storage and will most likely have to do some custom power cabling.

Flintstone

Jun 11, 2016
Just be careful with the wire gauge when doing custom cables. It´s been a long time since I did such cables, but I remember buying cable from ModDIY that was not the correct gauge and it ending in the trash - the thinner cables will not "stick" correctly to the SATA contacts and be cause of problems.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Did you ever try out any of these sata power connectors? If so, any real differences between them?
I haven't needed to make custom SATA cables (advertising link), but I have made my own ATX cables:

I would suggest using a name-brand connector (Molex, Tyco, etc.) purchased from an authorized distributor (Mouser, Newark, etc.). You can get detailed drawings and specifications for each part of the connector (for example, these which have specs like this). That will tell you not only the acceptable wire gauge, but also the overall jacketed diameter that the insulation support will handle, and everything else you need to know. If you're going to use crimp-type (as opposed to insulation displacement) terminals, you really want to have the appropriate crimping tool (advertising link), even though it will likely be the most expensive part of the project. The last thing you want to have happen is random wires falling out and damaging things.

Flintstone

Jun 11, 2016
I would suggest getting your tools here MDPC-X or somewhere suggested by people who do sleeving and such work every day. I too think loose wires and bad contacts cause a lot of problems - part of the reason I moved to backplane type connections to drives was to avoid the crappy SATA stuff (both cables and power).

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I would suggest getting your tools here MDPC-X or somewhere suggested by people who do sleeving and such work every day. I too think loose wires and bad contacts cause a lot of problems - part of the reason I moved to backplane type connections to drives was to avoid the crappy SATA stuff (both cables and power).
Another source is Waytek Wire. For exapmple, their expandable sleeving here. They're mainly an automotive / marine supplier, but that just means their prices are lower.

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Thanks for the links. Wow I hadn't been to mdpc in ages. Didn't realize they had a store.

I see Charles Harwood is still making the murderbox, I bought a sleeving kit from him years ago. =)