CSE-836TQ (Compellent variant)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
yes you can as long as you can boot to the OS

try to find BMC firmware and flasher.

I did flash BMC on DOS last time for my tyan lga1155,
got the link to flasher from the net.
I was booting using a DOS based usb drive and flashing using Supermicro's flash utility. While it worked the first time to flash them to the most recent version, it's also what corrupted them.

Booting via the same USB drive and attempting to use the same supermicro bmc flash utility fails stating that it can't detect the BMC.

Have you found a way to force flash this?

Thanks!

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I was booting using a DOS based usb drive and flashing using Supermicro's flash utility. While it worked the first time to flash them to the most recent version, it's also what corrupted them.

Booting via the same USB drive and attempting to use the same supermicro bmc flash utility fails stating that it can't detect the BMC.

Have you found a way to force flash this?

Thanks!
did you....
* 8 series uses (WPCM450 BMC) aten flasher: ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/utility/IPMI FW flash tools/ATEN/
* get motherboard bmc firmware file *make sure match with your motherboard model*. http://www.supermicro.com/support/bios/firmware0.aspx (they included flasher in zip file).

if the flasher still no detect, reset BIOS and BMC, some motherboard has to do temporary jumper to reset, go to BIOS and enable BMC, and try to reflash again under dos *recommend Rufus to create bootable DOS*

you need minimaly low layer BMC functionality to start flashing :). every BMC will fails-over with this when see corrupted/wromg firmware in it's flash.

good luck

my last effort with aspeed BMC:
mine uses aspeed BMC, and did successfully flashed with http://upload.aspeedtech.com/SOC/v11101.zip running under DOS. I can query the BMC info/status before flashing with a correct firmware.

rkrenicki

Feb 2, 2016
I ended up snagging this chassis. I do not have an immediate need for it, but I will use it as a backup or possible replacement for my 846, since I only have 16 drives in it anyways..