Crimping tool

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cyruspy

Mar 26, 2016
Hello,

I'm trying to source a good crimping tool for 8C8P/RJ45 connectors, and looking forward to use passthrough connectors (with indoor and outdoor cables).

All the options found on Amazon are reported to have one problem or another, is there any consensus over here?

Last edited:

nasi

Feb 25, 2020
Will need a separate wire stripper
I would recommend that in every case. All wire strippers integrated to crimping tools I've seen so far were fitting for just one kind of cable. But if you handle with different types (shielding, diameter, coating, flexibility,...) you need a better matching tool anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0dd

cyruspy

Mar 26, 2016

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Funny thing is I was doing some cabling at my house over the weekend. I could’ve sworn I had a Klein Tools crimper, but couldn’t find it. I ended up using a janky TrendNet crimper I’ve had for about 25 years. Long story short, I was very frustrated since I crimped each end twice, with two different RJ-45 plugs, before I realized that the reason the cables were failing the test was because the TrendNet crimper’s die was not terminating the plugs correctly. Needless to say I tossed it.

I bought a Klein Tools compact crimper from Home Depot, and was able to make the termination. However, the plug got stuck in the crimper, needing a screwdriver and a bit of banging to loosen it. Cable works fine for now though but obviously not that happy about Klein Tools so it’s going back to returns.

I’ll probably be ordering a proper crimper soon.

I’ll likely buy the Platinum Tools 100054C, since my plugs are the Platinum Tools EZ-RJ45.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
In the past I've been very satisfied with the GMP Modular Plug Presser and have dozens of them. However, lately they've been coming in mis-calibrated and while they offer "free lifetime service", you have to pay for the shipping and they have started to send tools back with strange notes like "This tool has a DECconnect die" when it obviously has an 8P8C. Also, their universal solid / stranded 8P8C plugs underwent a mold change a year or two ago which enlarged the interior open space, making it harder to get correct alignment of the wires. Plus, the tooling is hideously expensive (several hundred $). But since we charge $300/hour to make / install / certify (complete with graphs, etc.) cables, that isn't really a concern. And the tester is $7K+ anyway.