Create Domain for kid's schoolwork? A Covid Problem

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DIF-Ops

Jul 21, 2020
I'm in IT for a living. I specifically didn't go into school IT administration because I knew kids would always work diligently to get around my access rules. Well, we just found out that school will be remote for the first half of the year and those kids that get around the rules, are my kids.

Here's my question
I have a kids vlan with superior firewall blocking capabilities but unfortunately my kids are smart, and they just switch to my neighbors open wifi. Should I create a domain and implement group policy? This would mean spending $500 on Windows server essentials and all the work that would go into that..... (Something I'm not looking forward to). Does anyone have any better solutions?

Thanks in advance!!

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You can just edit the Group Policy settings on each PC to blacklist all APs except yours. No domain needed for that.

DIF-Ops

Jul 21, 2020
I was curious about that but didn't see a way to blacklist ssid's without using group policy.