CPU Selection for a Solaris Storage Setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hzrdog

Mar 6, 2016
Hi,

I am about to pull my trigger on a Solaris storage setup based on a Dell T630.

I plan to use all he 18 3.5 drives for the pool and a pair of nvme SSDs for the L2ARC cache.

I may install Solaris or a variant on the bare metal server purely for storage purpose. The number of clients of the file server will be capped by around 20 which I think is not a very heavy load.

However I am not very certain about the CPU selection by now. Since to utilize all the PCIe slots, both CPUs have to be installed, I think I will go for the dual CPU setup.

Should I go for a pair of E5 2620v4? Or maybe a pair of E5 2609v4 even E5 2603v4 is enough for this task?

Hope to hear any advices of the setup from you guys. Thank you very much.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Personally, I would go with two E5-2620 V4's if you wanted low-end CPUs.

You get DDR4-2133 for faster RAM, the 8GT/s QPI, hyper threading and much higher clock speeds at around $100 more per CPU or $200. In your setup, that differential is a small portion of total system cost. At some point when you want to run virtualizaed workloads on the machine, you will want more CPU power.

hzrdog

Mar 6, 2016
Personally, I would go with two E5-2620 V4's if you wanted low-end CPUs.

You get DDR4-2133 for faster RAM, the 8GT/s QPI, hyper threading and much higher clock speeds at around $100 more per CPU or $200. In your setup, that differential is a small portion of total system cost. At some point when you want to run virtualizaed workloads on the machine, you will want more CPU power.
Thank you for your informative replay, Patrick.

I've made up my mind to go with the E5-2620v4s.

Reactions: Patrick