CPU missing cores

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
I am having a weird failure that I haven't ran across before and is intermittent which makes it fun to track down.
Server:
Supermicro x10DRi BIOS 3.4a IPMI 3.93
Windows 2022 server, dedicated Hyper V host
x2 E5 2690 V4 14 core CPU's
8x 32GB RAM, 128GB per socket

The system crashed and rebooted by itself. Somehow only one CPU is showing up with 2 cores and 4 threads. L1/L2 cache are correct for 2 cores, L3 cache is the full 35MB for one CPU. What is really throwing me is all 256GB of RAM from both sockets shows up and I can see PCIe cards that are attached to separate sockets. Hardware Info and CPUz show 1 CPU with 2 cores, device manager shows all 56 E5 2690 V4 listings under processors. Intel processor diagnostics passes. The BIOS shows both CPU's and all cores enabled but when I restart the system sometimes I see both CPU's with all cores so it could be lucky timing when I look at the BIOS.

Has anyone ran across anything similar? I have a 2nd system with the same board and 2680 v4's to try and pinpoint the cause but the intermittent nature is going to be difficult to diagnosis.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
can be bad files left from the crash. what is next ? check with new setup. HWinfo reads the CPUs conf registers, can be different to enabled cores.