cpu compatability s2600cw and ntel Xeon E5-2670 ES

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
This seller in Japan moves a lot of ES chips. I've dealt with them and they know their stuff. Send them an eBay message regarding the item and ask them:

1. What is the S-Spec number of the listed part. This is a 4 or 5 character ID starting with "Q" (for pre-preduction/ES parts) or "S" (for production parts).
2. Ask them specifically whether than can confirm compatibility with your MB (Intel S2600cw).

If they won't give you the S-Spec code then pass. Something is fishy. If they do give it to you look it up on cpu-world.com and confirm that it is the almost-relesed part. B0 or C0 steppings are usually OK for most uses.

Finally, just do a google on the s-spec itself and see what comes up, what others have reported about it.

With ES parts YMMV, but if cost is king it might be the only way you play with those parts.

Also - be aware that all trade in ES parts is counter to the non-disclosure agreement that they are distributed under. Technically you are trading in stolen goods since Intel never transfers title on their "Intel Confidential" ES parts. Its not policed very aggressively by Intel unless they see someone trading large quantities of them. When dealing with international sellers of ES parts there is an (almost infinitesimally small) chance that your item could get impounded by ICE during customs. You need to decide for yourself whether or not you are comfortable with that.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Were they willing to confirm MB compatibility?

Any given part will only have a single S-spec printed on it. Their answer is generic, they are being evasive. I'd probably pass.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
If they will do two QGP2 chips then you are good. Those are retail stepping in everything but name.

Last edited:

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
i received a reply back on another simaler processor that seemed like a good deal. the seller said he didn't think his cpus were compatibility
he replied and said the QEY7 was not compatable with my s2600 cw. this is confusing.
No, no it really isn't.

These are pre-release chips, why would you expect intel to support them on retail boards?
They want you to buy their retail chips so their boards are more picky when dealing with ES chips.

The lower the letter, the earlier the stepping... QE is older than QF is older than QG, for the most part.
on the hcc die, ala 14c QE is basically an A0/A1 stepping. Those are paperweights at best.

For the midcorecount dies QF/QG are the last 2 minor steppings.
That QGP2 is the same silicon that is in the retail chip... it will work because it is retail.

QGP2 (Intel Xeon E5-2670 v3)

You can google all of this rather easily.

christopher kuhn

Mar 20, 2015
So i have sent a request to the seller for (2) QGP2 and i will cross my fingers that they work. Thank you so much for your help. I have been googling all morning but its always nice to check multiple sources for my own confidence.