CPU and motherboard for Handbrake?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
I am looking for suggestions on processor and motherboard for x265 video transcoding with Handbrake. At the moment I am using an i5-4440 CPU and Asus H87-Pro.
I need a system which has out of band management support (IPMI). I was looking at E5-16xx cpus along with Supermicro boards initially however the Ryzen platform seems good value for money. I haven't any ryzen board with IPMI support. Any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
there wont be any ryzen board with ipmi soon if ever... amd probably not going to cannibalize their epyc or WS offering.....

I think handbrake uses up to 6 cores with diminishing return after that... so maybe get a higher clocked 6 cores or up to 8 cores. i7-8700k would have been good but it's completely sold out most of the time and is now overpriced at $420+.... you still won't get any ipmi with 8700k MB....

K D

Dec 24, 2016
If IPMI is really needed then the E3s are a good choice. With Thr 12x5 variants, you can even use quicksync for faster encodes.

A supermicro X11 board with E3 V5 or V6. If you go that route be careful in choosing a board that supports QS.

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
If IPMI is really needed then the E3s are a good choice. With Thr 12x5 variants, you can even use quicksync for faster encodes.

A supermicro X11 board with E3 V5 or V6. If you go that route be careful in choosing a board that supports QS.
The E3 seems to be a good choice. Is there a motherboard with aleast 4 PCIe slots and IPMI support?

bitrot

Aug 7, 2017
If you value quality of your encodes, you shouldn’t use Intel QuickSync with Handbrake, as hardware encoding, while certainly speeding up things, implies a rather noticeable drop of quality. It may make sense as a real time transcoding solution to reduce the load on your media server (Plex, Emby etc.), a good compromise between speed and quality (although many Plex users with beefy machines still prefer software encoding, if just for the more consistent results). But when encoding with Handbrake and having no real time streams to handle, quality should come first, and that means software encoding, using a proper codec like HEVC, for example.

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
Quality is not a concern, but speed and file definitely is for me. The files wont be archived. Any recommendation on motherboard?

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
I am using an X11SSH-CTF board with an E3-1275v6 as my always on "Home Server" with the iGPU passed through to a plex/emby VM for GPU transcoding. I know handbrake works as well as I had tested it for some one in the forums earlier.

E3 Xeon Motherboard with Transcoding and IPMI?

See this thread for discussions regarding motherboards that work with iGPU.

Issue with E3-1245 v6 iGPU on X11SSM-F
That X11SSH-CTF board unfortunately has only 2 PCIe slots, I need atleast 4. My system is going to run MythTV so i need slots for the tuner cards.

msg7086

May 2, 2017
Quality is not a concern, but speed and file definitely is for me. The files wont be archived. Any recommendation on motherboard?
So you want to drop your initial requirement (x265) and use quicksync instead?

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
So you want to drop your initial requirement (x265) and use quicksync instead?
x265 gives the smallest file size, so I will like to keep that. I have never used Quicksync so not sure how much of a speedup it provides. It seems there is Quicksync support for x265 as well in Handbrake.

msg7086

May 2, 2017
This is something I don't quite get here. You said quality is not a concern, but now you say you want smallest file size. When we are talking about encoding quality, we are actually focusing on compression efficiency, a.k.a "bang for the buck", how much quality you can get per file size. x265 won't give you the smallest file size, it gives you smallest file size per quality (or best quality per file size).

Now back to the topic, x265 sacrifices speed for compression efficiency, qsv and nvenc do the opposite way (much faster but compress less). File size is not even relevant here because that's just a parameter to change in all those 3 encoders.

Speed up -- I don't know the exact numbers, but qsv and nvenc should surely be way faster than x265's default setting.

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
x265 won't give you the smallest file size, it gives you smallest file size per quality (or best quality per file size).
I have zeroed down on the quality I want, and was hoping to improve the encode speed.

msg7086

May 2, 2017
QSV on 7th or 8th is claimed to support realtime 4k hevc encoding. So that'll be at least 5x faster than an i5 running x265 with default settings.