Could use a switch recommendation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BigNasty

Dec 24, 2023
I'm looking for a cheap switch with 1-2 SFP + ports for a DAC connection to a UDM Pro and 4-8 RJ 1/2.5/10G ports. I could get by with 2 10GB ports as long as the rest were 1/2.5. I'd rather not deal with transceivers if at all possible- one less thing to troubleshoot.
POE not needed, I don't need managed and it can be rack mounted or not.
I had been looking at a XS-508M but was hoping there was something else out there better/cheaper that I may have missed. I don't keep up much on HW.

I also have one workstation that could use a PCIe cheap 10G RJ card if there's a common recommendation for those as well that also supports 2.5 and jumbo frames that match the switch.

Cheers and thanks!

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Yes, wasn’t aware you are after 10G copper as you wrote about DAC. So you are looking for 4 10G ports, 2 copper, 2 SFP+ as minimum?

BigNasty

Dec 24, 2023
Apologies for not being clear.
1-2 SFP+
2 minimum, up to 8 multi port 1/2.5/10G copper. If it's only 2 10G copper, the reamining ports would need to be 2.5/1GB supported and not just 1GB.

nexox

May 3, 2023
The commonly used terms do get confusing, especially since DACs are made from copper and SFP+ ports are 10GbE, best to use the specific names for twisted pair like 10GBase-T and NBase-T.

Still, by the time you get past two 10G ports of any type prices tend to rise quickly, and it gets harder to find your desired mix of ports without using 10GBase-T SFP+ modules. I recently compromised and ended up with a switch that's all SFP and SFP+, requiring a handful of 1000Base-T modules, because that was the cheapest option to get 4x10G.