Core X, Coffee Lake S or Cannonlake S with X299, Z370 or Z390

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lnong

Jun 27, 2017
Here's my understanding from what I've read:

1) A Sky/Kaby Lake X processor will require the LGA2066 socket and the X299 chipset on HEDTs
2) The Coffee Lake S processor will require the LGA1151 v2 socket and the Z370 chipset on mainstream desktops
3) The Cannonlake S processors will require the Z390 chipset on mainstream desktops. Don't know what socket it will need...

Questions:

A) Assuming a theoretical scenario where the same 4-core processor is being tested on all 3 combinations above, which combination would give you the most powerful (raw power and efficiency) system?

B) Assuming the same theoretical scenario above, would the only real advantage of using one chipset over another is for the other supported features such as USB 3.1, # of PCIe lanes available, etc? (In which case the latest and greatest would most likely win)

C) Would an x299 chipset with a Kaby Lake X processor made for HEDTs be weaker than a mainstream desktop using the new z370 chipset with the Coffee Lake S processor that is claimed to be 30% more efficient than the Kaby Lake S?

D) The future Coffee Lake X and Cannonlake X processors can be assumed to be supported by a future X399 chipset?

E) If i'm not a gamer but am looking to build a powerful HTPC/NAS system which will also transcode and rip blu-rays, which processor/chipset combo would be best?

Thanks.