Cooling Xeon D-1718T (Ice Lake-D/SuperMicro X12 mini-ITX embedded)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

martinblank64

Sep 2, 2023
Hi everybody! First time posting here.

For many years I was using an Intel Atom C2000 based motherboard (Supermicro mini ITX) that had 4+ 1G LAN ports as a home network appliance, firewall and some other services. Unfortunately it recently died.

I wanted something with more network speed and picked a Supermicro X12SDV-4C-SPT4F motherboard which is a lower power version of this:

It's got 4x LAN interfaces each capable of 10gbps or higher which really attracted me.

Unfortunately, as I've come to discover, CPU cooling is not good when deployed in a run of the mill non-server mini ITX case.
It seems that this board is designed for use in a 1U chassis with screaming loud front-to-back airflow fans to cool the CPU.

In my case, the CPU idles around 85C, even with Turbo mode disabled in the BIOS and also setting maximum power conservation mode in BIOS.

I am seeking help and knowledge from folks here if I've got any sort of heatsink/cooling options that won't require a rack mount chassis with screaming loud fans.

I found an article about a full size ATX board with what I believe is the same CPU socket:

A comment there mentions that the Supermicro SNK-C0111AP4L cooler fit from a screw hole perspective but a dremel was needed to open up some clearance.
That cooler is for Intel Socket 604 so I wonder if any other Socket 604 coolers could work? It's old though and not easy to find info...

I am open to any suggestions - and not afraid to void warranties if needed. Thanks for reading and any help in advance. :)

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You can look at heatsinks with adjustable mounts. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I know they're out there.

As for socket 604, I doubt that would work even if the mounting holes line up. The vertical height on socket 604 is considerably higher than what you'd find on the motherboard, so you'd have quite the gap.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I have a X10SDV-8C-TLN4, which is also optimized for 1U, in a SCE-721TQ chassis. The passive cooling was not enough. I just jury-rigged a 60mm fan, that came with a Dynatron 2U that I was not using, with twist ties to the heat sink. Not an optimal / elegant solution but keeps the temps reasonable around 50 degrees C.

I didn’t want to go through the hassle of removing and replacing with active HS.

martinblank64

Sep 2, 2023
Much appreciate the input, thank you!

The idea of an adjustable heatsink sounded promising. I spent a lot of time searching but sadly couldn't find anything. :(
Still poking around but if someone knows of one, please do share.

Now in the mean time after staring at my case internals a long time I noticed there's a spot where I could wedge an 80mm fan beneath the heatsink so the air flows sideways.

I've done this, and the system now runs IDLE at 66C. That's better than 85C but I wouldn't call it amazing. Very obnixiously the heatsink is sealed flat on the top surface, so top down airflow does nothing, and without some new heatsink, I'm quite limited to awkwardly trying to hit it sideways like this...

Photo attached of what this looks like for context.IMG_4087.jpg

nexox

May 3, 2023
I assume you don't have a 3D printer? That heatsink with the sealed top would work nicely with a printed duct. Otherwise, break out the cardboard and high temperature double sided tape.

GeeK

May 6, 2023
I'm sorry my question is off topic, but have you possibly measured IDLE power consumption? I'm interested in the same motherboard for my NAS, but I can't find the expected power consumption data anywhere.

aosudh

Jan 25, 2023
Make a 3d printing duct with otherside directly attached to the cooling fan, this helps redirect airflow and promote the cooling efficiency enormously

etorix

Sep 28, 2021
A comment there mentions that the Supermicro SNK-C0111AP4L cooler fit from a screw hole perspective but a dremel was needed to open up some clearance.
That cooler is for Intel Socket 604 so I wonder if any other Socket 604 coolers could work? It's old though and not easy to find info...
SNK-C0111AP4L uses the same backplate BKT-0135L as the heatsink on my X12SDV-4C-SP6F.
Accorting to Supermicro support, the SNK-C0111AP4L can be used as active heatsink on the X11SDV-8C-TLN2F. I guess this is the best bet for X12SDV boards as well. And then, we may replace the fan by a quieter model, since Xeon D-1700 is not as hot as D-2100.