Consolidate Storage - How would you do it?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ColPanic

Feb 14, 2016
ATX
I've been doing a bunch of testing with different storage platforms and media. In the process I've collected quite an assortment of drives, HBAs, RAID cards and enclosures and now I'd like to consolidate it and am curious to hear how some of you would do it. I'd like to maximize performance and (hopefully) save some power. This thing idles at about 300w right now, which makes the room its in very warm (and annoys the wife).

I use the system as a lab for testing VMs and networking stuff, but it also stores all of my business files, a couple hundred GB of 3rd tier offsite backup for an architecture firm and 5 TB of plex media server. Windows Server 2012r2, FreeNAS, Server 2016 and a couple linux VMs run 24/7. None of this data is irreplaceable and I have a very robust backup strategy in place already. I also have google fiber :)

Here is the collection of stuff I've accumulated and how its currently set up:
VMware 6.0 is the hypervisor and that is not going to change

Host:
  • Intel S2600 in an Intel 4308 Hot-Swap chasssis (I've also added a 4-bay cage, so the main chassis has (12) 3.5"/2.5" bays)
  • (2) E5-2670 (I can probably disable one of these now)
  • 96GiB RAM
  • 12 bay Lenovo SA120 DAS
  • One more 4-bay SATA cage
HBA:
  • (2) LSI-2008-8I HBA
  • (1) LSI-2008-8E HBA
  • (1) LSI-9260-8I RAID with BBU
SSD:
  • (1) 800 GB LSI Nytro Warp Drive
  • (5) 960 GB SSD (assorted Samsung, Hitachi, Dell)
  • (2) 200GB Hitachi SSD
  • (4) HGST 400 GB SAS SSD
  • (1) Intel 100GB S3700
HDD
  • (8) WD Re 3TB HDD
  • (7) Hitachi 7k3000 2TB HDD
  • (1) 4TB and (1) 5TB 5200 rpm drives (use for transfers and cold backup)
Current Configuration
  • (2) 2008-8I HBA are passed through to FreeNAS
    • One has the (8) 3TB Drives
    • One has (5) 960 GB SSD and (3) HGST 400 GB SSD
    • 2 volumes, one HDD (mirrored) and one SSD (raidz) are shared back to ESXi via iSCSI
    • 2 of the Nytro drives are passed through to FreeNAS to use as striped SLOG
  • 2008-8E is passed through to Windows Server 2016 and connected to the SA120 with
    • (7) 2TB HDD
    • (2) 200 GB SSD
    • This created a tiered storage spaces volume, shared back to ESXi
I set it up this way to do a bunch of testing with Windows Server 2016 and to compare hardware raid and zfs. I'm done with that and would like to boil it down to what I need to keep running long term.

My first thought is to kill the SA120 and its drives and reconfigure FreeNAS to use the (8) 3TB Drives in parity rather than mirror and give it (2) HGST 400s to use as SLOG and kill the Nytro. That nets about 15TB usable as iscsi. I'd also leave (5) 960GB SSDs connected to Freenas as a high performance datastore. (I want to kill the Nytro and SA120 because they are both power hogs)

Thanks for any advice you may have on how you'd do this.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
How much data do you have total?

My first reaction was wondering if you could consolidate to 8TB drives or something similar. Maybe 6x 8TB and stripe/ mirror to around 24TB usable. If you can go from 16 drives down to a smaller number (e.g. 6) you could likely save an 8 port controller and perhaps a chassis as well.

I know that seems strange but fewer drives mean lower operational overhead.