Connecting MB SATA to Supermicro Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ca3y6

Apr 3, 2021
This may be a dumb question as this is the first time I play with server chassis. I am trying to connect the front panel of the Supermicro chassis (SC829HE1C4-R1K02LPB), which contains 12 front drives slots to a MB H12SSL-i motherboard. No RAID card, I just want to use the SATA connectors of the motherboard.

The motherboard has a 8 regular SATA ports and a SlimSASx8 port which I understand can do another 8 SATA ports (so 16 in total).

H12SSL-i_spec.jpg

Then I hope I am using the right cables.
For the MB's SlimSASx8, CBL-SAST-0826

For the MB's regular SATA ports, I am using a reverse breakout cable, which I understand is what is needed to connect 8 motherboard ports to a single MiniSAS port on the chassis: CBL-SAST-0591

The chassis is where I am starting to get confused. The chassis contains 2 sets of 4x MiniSAS ports, so 8 in total. If I understand the chassis manual correctly (but I wouldn't bet on that), the ports on the right of the picture below are failover ports for redundancy, and the ports on the left are the primary ports. However all schematics in the chassis manual are only showing two MiniSAS ports being connected to the HBA, never 3 (which I do not understand, there are 12 drives, I understand a MiniSAS can carry 4 SATA connections, so surely there should be at least 3 ports connected?).

Either way I tried to connect my cables to the ports on the left and to the ports on the right, and I tried connecting a SATA Hard Drive in various slots, and every time the disk is not recognized by the OS, and doesn't appear in the BIOS under SATA information either. The power cables seem to be OK (the drive is hot and rotating).

IMG_1940-r2-r.jpg

So I am wondering if I am doing anything wrong? Perhaps I use the wrong cables? Or do I misunderstand completely what the primary vs secondary sets of ports means? Or can you think of any other reason why the motherboard doesn't see the drive?

uldise

Jul 2, 2020
BPN-SAS3-826EL1-N4 is a SAS backplane with expander - so you need a SAS card - to me it looks like, onboard SATA will not work with that.
according to Slim SAS - it's either SATA or NVME. i think you can connect 2 NVME drives to that port.

or you should change your board with H12SSL-C | Motherboards | Super Micro Computer, Inc. - it has Broadcom 3008 SAS3 (12 Gbps) controller on board.

Reactions: ca3y6

ca3y6

Apr 3, 2021
But I thought that SATA and SAS were compatible. If they are not, and if I purchase a SAS PCIe controller, will I still be able to plug SATA drives in that chassis?

ca3y6

Apr 3, 2021
Thanks. And one more question. I am still confused why the schematics are only showing two cables going from the HBA to the front panel, even though there are 12 drive slots. how many drives can be connected through a single MiniSAS cable?

uldise

Jul 2, 2020
as i wrote - it's backplane with expander built-in - so you connect one cable and all 12 drives should work just fine. you can connect two cables for dual channel for increased band-with, but with HDDs you should have plenty of band-with with one cable only.

Reactions: ca3y6

ca3y6

Apr 3, 2021
Ok Thanks. Can I check that I understood correctly (I never used SAS and was making the wrong assumptions)? I am thinking of buying This card

The chassis has two sets of drives, 12 at the front, and 4 in the middle. That controller has two SAS ports, I could connect one for each set of drives. And it should be able to control all 16 drives, no RAID.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
In the last two months there were many posts asking "simple" things about sas, sata, extenders and expanders. Wondering if these are all people trying to mine Chia :D