Connect Gigabit Switch and Router to Arista 40GB switch.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nkw

Aug 28, 2017
Thanks @i386

@nkw. I recieved the Arista version of the breakout cable just now and connected it.

The breakout starts almost at the transceiver so each sfp+ cable is almost 6ft.

I see the connection leds blinking in the pfsense box but not in the 1g switch. The Arista switch has one of the 4 leds on for that particular port ( see pics). The management terminal is hooked up to the patch panel and connected to my workstation on the second floor. I am not able to check the terminal immediately. ( On s side note I really need to have a system or laptop downstairs so that I dont have to trudge up and down 2 floors each time)
Your post reminded me to check my Amazon order status. They were sitting in my mailbox! All plugged in and going now. I also ordered another of the Cisco QSFP fanout cables from Amazon Warehouse deals which showed up. I'm pretty sure one of you must have used it for one rainy weekend at an outdoor music festival. I'm not sure how you get mud inside a SFP+ connector, but someone did. I think I'll send that one back.

Do I understand correctly you are trying to plug the SFP+ end from the breakout into a SFP port on your gigabit switch? I just assumed the switch would only support 10GBASE-CR. I'm pretty much using a couple of US-16-XGs for nothing more than a media adapter so I can plug in a couple of 10GBase-T servers I have (was a good enough deal to violate my no more copper ports rule) and to connect with my gigabit network which is lacking any gigabit switches with SFP+ uplinks.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Do I understand correctly you are trying to plug the SFP+ end from the breakout into a SFP port on your gigabit switch?
You are correct.

I will check if I can set the switch to negotiate at 1G and see if that works.