Confused about optical transceivers

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Simian

Nov 9, 2016
Hi guys, I'm new in optical communication industry. I am confused about the following questions:

1. As for structure of optical transceivers, are EML+APD the optimal combination?

2. I know this is a fast-growing industry. How much rates of module is now the most people use for commercial or industrial. Low-rate modules will be eliminated in the future ??

Thanks a lot.

pc_doom

Nov 2, 2016
There are transceivers for 1G, 10G, 40G, 100G, or 120G transceivers available on the market. Since the technology of 100G and 120G is not very mature, these 100G and 120G transceivers are much expensive than the other transceivers. So, nowadays, for most commercial and industrial applications, 40G transceivers are widely adopted, especially 40G QSFP+ transceivers. Everything has its own value in specific cases. Although high-rate transceivers has dominated the market. there still someone needs these low-rate transceivers.

Reactions: Simian and T_Minus

Simian

Nov 9, 2016
There are transceivers for 1G, 10G, 40G, 100G, or 120G transceivers available on the market. Since the technology of 100G and 120G is not very mature, these 100G and 120G transceivers are much expensive than the other transceivers. So, nowadays, for most commercial and industrial applications, 40G transceivers are widely adopted, especially 40G QSFP+ transceivers. Everything has its own value in specific cases. Although high-rate transceivers has dominated the market. there still someone needs these low-rate transceivers.
Thanks for your answer. I really benefit from that. I'm trying to learn more about the industry and product information, though it is not easy.

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
Yes, it is not that easy to understand all the products and related technology in a short time. I suggest you reading some articles and watching youtube videos to have a basic understanding of the telecom industry. Then if you have any question, you can put it forward. We will help you out.

Reactions: Simian

Simian

Nov 9, 2016
Yes, it is not that easy to understand all the products and related technology in a short time. I suggest you reading some articles and watching youtube videos to have a basic understanding of the telecom industry. Then if you have any question, you can put it forward. We will help you out.
Thank you for your suggestion. And that article is great for me.