Concerns about Supermicro POST code and RAM dilemma

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JohnnyKing

Mar 22, 2024
Hi everyone,
recently, I purchased a CPU+motherboard+RAM bundle from eBay to set up my personal homelab. Here is the bundle:

CPU: AMD EPYC 7282
MOBO: Supermicro H11SSL-i
RAM: 8x8GB ECC REG 2133 MHz

The Chinese eBay store sells this bundle, assuring its functionality. Recently, it arrived safely at home, and everything seems to be working fine. The BIOS posts and boots up successfully. Both the CPU and RAM are recognized, and I've even managed to install TrueNAS as the operating system for my homelab.

Upon further inspection, I explored the IPMI Supermicro panel and noticed that under "Post Snooping", the value is 55. After some research online, I found that code 55 signifies "no memory installation", but I'm unsure if this is a reliable indicator. Despite this, my system boots up perfectly fine without any blocking POST codes during the boot phase. I only noticed it in the IPMI panel. Additionally, all 8 RAM slots are recognized by the IPMI panel, as also confirmed by TrueNAS Scale.

The only discrepancy I found in the motherboard manual is that it supports RAM either "1TB Registered ECC DDR4 2666MHz SDRAM in 8 DIMMs" or "2TB Registered ECC DDR4 3200MHz SDRAM in 8 DIMMs (Board revision 2.x required)".

At this point, I'm puzzled as to how everything is functioning smoothly and why the store sells these bundles with the assurance of full functionality, which, from a purely realistic standpoint (since I'm currently using it), it seems to deliver! :D

Now, I have a couple of questions:

1) Should I be concerned about anything even though everything seems to be working fine?
2) If I were to update the BIOS in the future using a Supermicro OOB license, is there a risk of permanently locking these RAM modules at 2133 MHz, potentially causing the system not to boot?

Currently, according to the IPMI panel, I have this BIOS version: 2.0a

Regards

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
2) (I don't think supermicro requires a oob license for boards with AST2500 or newer bmcs.)
No.