Compellent RAID card

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Diavuno

So I picked up a dozen or so Supermicro 16 bay 3u chassis for about scrap value, Figured I'd find *A* use for them...

Turns out its a retired Compellent setup with all kinds of optical cards (Qlogic 1GB SFP) and a bunch of these:

Dell Compellent SC8000 PCI-E Raid Controller Card DV94N + 512MB Cache & Battery

Anyone know what good they are, or if they can be made useable?

(or can I just chunk these back together? I have what appears to be a head and 4 or 5 for drives) the rest are almost an identical config, but no branding.

Reactions: andrewbedia

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
What an odd thing you have found @ that pcie card. I'm guessing FCoE or iSCSI. Hm. Strange.

Have a like for keeping things weird!

Diavuno

Funny thing about these cars, they ALL have the same orange plugs in the raid card.
They do however have 4-8 GB in fiber connections and the 3 GBe onboard (on being IPMI)
Unfortunately the boards are ALL x7

Each node also has Zero disks, and zero cables to the backplane.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
I don't think those are RAID cards at all. We have them in our Compellent SC8000 nodes, and I'm 95% certain that they are the cache-card in each node. Compellent is software RAID and does not use hardware RAID cards, so no need for that functionality. I don't know what the RJ45 ports on the card are for, but I highly suspect it is not for any kind of ethernet.

As cheap as they are on ebay I'm almost tempted to buy one just to plug it into something running a standard OS and see what I can make it do.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
I don't think those are RAID cards at all. We have them in our Compellent SC8000 nodes, and I'm 95% certain that they are the cache-card in each node. Compellent is software RAID and does not use hardware RAID cards, so no need for that functionality. I don't know what the RJ45 ports on the card are for, but I highly suspect it is not for any kind of ethernet.

As cheap as they are on ebay I'm almost tempted to buy one just to plug it into something running a standard OS and see what I can make it do.
FCoE = Fibre Channel over Ethernet

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
FCoE = Fibre Channel over Ethernet
I'm aware of what FCoE is - we are running a bunch of it here. But this card is NOT an FCoE card - it is not a RAID card or HBA of any type. The Compellent-OS uses it as a cache-card, but I'm not really sure what it would show up as under a regular OS.