Common POE issues with Ruckus R710?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

danb35

Nov 25, 2017
tl;dr: Are there any known hardware troubleshooting guides, or known common hardware problems, with POE on a Ruckus R710?

Background: a few months ago, I bought a R710 access point off eBay that was sold as "for parts or not working"--the description said it lit up but there was no further testing done. When it arrived, I saw that it was marked "no POE", and sure enough, it wouldn't power over POE--not off my Dell PowerConnect 5524P, nor off my Unifi POE switch, nor off my ICX6450-48P. But when I plug it into a power adapter, it works just fine, I was able to reset it, install Unleashed on it, and generally go on my way.

I can live with this; I bought this AP for testing, so it isn't critical if I can't get POE to work. But it'd be nice if I could. Any thoughts on what to look for?

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Open it up and look for scorch marks where the magic smoke was released. If you're lucky, it's a power handling component that's replaceable (though it might be SMD, which can be difficult to replace). If you are unlucky, then it's probably some piece of silicon that failed and good luck finding a replacement IC for it.

You're probably looking at some quality time with a multimeter probing various pins. No idea if Ruckus publishes a circuit diagram that would aid you in this.

Reactions: danb35

danb35

Nov 25, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions--I pulled the unit apart and don't see anything obviously scorched. I was hoping there was a fairly well-known issue: "Oh, that usually means L1 has burned out. Here's how to test it, and how to replace it if needed". But it doesn't sound like that's the case.

presslab

Aug 1, 2022
I fixed a unit that would not power from PoE. The bridge rectifier diodes coming from the Magjack were fried, probably a lightning strike or something. I replaced them all with Nexperia PMEG10020ELR.

Last edited:

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I fixed an R610 that would not power from PoE. The bridge rectifier diodes coming from the Magjack were fried, probably a lightning strike or something. I replaced them all with Nexperia PMEG10020ELR.
Can you share how your replaced those diodes? What level of soldering skills are required?

Reactions: custom90gt

presslab

Aug 1, 2022
Can you share how your replaced those diodes? What level of soldering skills are required?
It was a couple years ago, I don't remember the specific components, but the diode check function of most multimeters would show if the diodes are bad.

Probably about middle of the road skills required. It could be done with a pencil iron and solder wick but a hot air pencil is a lot easier.