[CN] Seeed studio reServer 4C/8T for $274.50

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rAardvark

Mar 27, 2021
I wasn't getting great temps at idle with the 3cm riser but the hottest ssd was not the one wrapped in tape but the B key drive at the top of the case. The lowest M key was the coolest, the riser in the middle was +2C and the top B key was +5-6C compared to the bottom drive. My HDDs were also consistently running above 50C. Instead of messing with the fan curves I just put a second fan up top temporarily. The temps dropped ~10C for all drives right away so I am printing a top fan bracket and then deal with the fan curves.

If anyone else is looking for the fan connector I think it is a molex PicoBlade 4 pin. (I just used one noctua with the included adapter and the stock fan but might change later)

tby

Aug 22, 2013
Snellville, GA
set-inform.com
Cool, thanks for sharing. Do you think the 10cm version would've been long enough as well? Also, please let us know how well it works temperature-wise.
I think so, might have to mount it higher than I did but I've got a decent amount of the cable folded over itself.

I'm not running it full-time yet but that SSD was reporting room temperature while the other one in the top position was like 50C. I don't see how the HDD side of the case gets any meaningful airflow, it's about completely blocked off from the fan. Nothing a little drilling can't fix.

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Does anyone who bought them has one for sale here in Europe? Got two and been looking for a third one at that heavily discounted price

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
I had ordered wrong type of 4-pin to SATA power from AliE and after 4 weeks of waiting for both, i wanna ask if anyone knows the exact type and where to order from? I am based in Europe so AliE is more convenient than Ebay and sellers from the US.

Raspy_Pi

Jul 1, 2022
I had ordered wrong type of 4-pin to SATA power from AliE and after 4 weeks of waiting for both, i wanna ask if anyone knows the exact type and where to order from? I am based in Europe so AliE is more convenient than Ebay and sellers from the US.
Support told me to get this one for my bad sata power cable although they only take bulk orders.

Last edited:

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
I've tried https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002663996478.html first, waiting for 2 weeks to find out it was the wrong one.
Then i ordered and got https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002663996478.html, also after 2 weeks to find out it also didn't fit.
I've now ordered https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002663996478.html to see if that might fit.

Looking at the link you got from Seeed support, i am not sure that has the correct size and format of the connector. It doesn't look correct if you look closely at one of the 3 SATA power connectors on reServer.
But i hope to be wrong ofc!

The support staff (1st line support i assume) doesn't seem very knowledgeable to me from their responses. I asked about an issue related to why an adapter (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004721706685.html) did not work on reServer and their reply was that it was PCIe gen4 hence it wouldn't work. The adapter is backward compatible with PCIe gen3 as well and works fine on other M.2 M-key PCIe gen3 slots, which i did point out.
So based on my suspicion about that adapter being M.2 2260 (which i i think shouldn't matter electrically?) i ordered another M.2 adapter without the cable that is 2280: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005467107231.html, and guess what...it works just fine.
Now i can connect my NVMe U.2 drive to the reServer.!

Support told me to get this one for my bad sata power cable although they only take bulk orders.

richard.dzavoronok

Jun 23, 2021
It's again on the sale, now 50% off.
It looks like it's on backorder though...not sure what that means :)

Reactions: ecosse

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
I think it's great little platform with few options for expansion, two 2.5Gbe ports, 11th gen Intel i3 etc...

that thing is hella cute

• Haha
Reactions: Fritz

nrtc

Dec 3, 2015
Does anybody else have problems with the ADT-Link R24SF cable?

I installed a 15cm one (looping back over the motherboard, cut a drive tray to make space) and I am having stability issues. After several days the system locks up and I have to hard reset it. When this happens, the system no longer boots; the light turns momentarily on, but after few seconds it turns off again, the HDDs do not even spin up. The system boots again as soon as I remove the extender cable, which leads me to suspect that the issue is due to the cable. However, the system does continue to work if I install the cable again... until the lockup repeats itself n days later.

upalachango

May 28, 2023
Does anybody else have problems with the ADT-Link R24SF cable?

I installed a 15cm one (looping back over the motherboard, cut a drive tray to make space) and I am having stability issues. After several days the system locks up and I have to hard reset it. When this happens, the system no longer boots; the light turns momentarily on, but after few seconds it turns off again, the HDDs do not even spin up. The system boots again as soon as I remove the extender cable, which leads me to suspect that the issue is due to the cable. However, the system does continue to work if I install the cable again... until the lockup repeats itself n days later.
Are you booting from the drive on the ADT-Link? The R24SF is rated as Gen3, and it's being plugged into a Gen4 slot. If your NVME is also Gen4, it could potentially lose signal quality over time and thus stability. It may even be trying to renegotiate speeds as if hot swapped, which NVME doesn't support, and if this is a boot drive it'd be all the more problematic.

nrtc

Dec 3, 2015
Are you booting from the drive on the ADT-Link? The R24SF is rated as Gen3, and it's being plugged into a Gen4 slot. If your NVME is also Gen4, it could potentially lose signal quality over time and thus stability. It may even be trying to renegotiate speeds as if hot swapped, which NVME doesn't support, and if this is a boot drive it'd be all the more problematic.
Thanks for your reply! My SSD is PCIe 3.0 and I am booting from a ZFS mirror, so in theory it should be fine.

I'm starting to doubt the cable is the problem though: just the other day I noticed that when the system fails to boot the power draw peaks at around 80W (due to the simultaneous spin up of the 2 20TB drives), so well above the 60W limit of the included power supply. Apparently others have had this issue as well. I've ordered a 90W power supply earlier today, so I'll soon find out whether that resolves my stability problems.

Reactions: upalachango

tp1

Feb 5, 2016
Has anyone been able to use the Coral dual TPU (Key E) in the wifi slot? The specs say it supports PCIE x1 (so one TPU should be visible), but I am unable to detect the TPU in that slot.
Thanks

nrtc

Dec 3, 2015
Thanks for your reply! My SSD is PCIe 3.0 and I am booting from a ZFS mirror, so in theory it should be fine.

I'm starting to doubt the cable is the problem though: just the other day I noticed that when the system fails to boot the power draw peaks at around 80W (due to the simultaneous spin up of the 2 20TB drives), so well above the 60W limit of the included power supply. Apparently others have had this issue as well. I've ordered a 90W power supply earlier today, so I'll soon find out whether that resolves my stability problems.
Unfortunately the power supply only resolved part of the problem: with 90W the system always boots without problem, but the system still regular hangs. I'm fairly certain that it is the ADT R24SF extender cable, because without it the system has been running stable for nearly 3 weeks now.

I'm not quite sure what the best way to resolve it is. I may just have a lemon, since no other user reported problems. But I'm a bit hesitant to simply order another cable or even their shielded PCIe 4.0 variant (K24MF).

rAardvark

Mar 27, 2021
I have 35 days uptime right now with my system with the r24sf without issues. I am not booting from this drive though, it is just in a mirrored metadata vDev in truenas. I have had no drive errors appear in this arrangement but my system isn't getting tons of usage.

nrtc

Dec 3, 2015
I have 35 days uptime right now with my system with the r24sf without issues. I am not booting from this drive though, it is just in a mirrored metadata vDev in truenas. I have had no drive errors appear in this arrangement but my system isn't getting tons of usage.
Thanks for sharing your experience, this seems to indicate that it may just be my cable. I've tried various things, both software wise and keeping the cable+ssd out of the top of the case to limit electromagnetic interference. The hangs do not seem to depend on usage either, it has also happened in the middle of the night when the system is basically idle.