[CN] Seeed studio reServer 4C/8T for $274.50

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
The 165$ deal has been “out of stock” for around 3 days, that’s why the [Out of stock] was added to the title. Meanwhile they have some in stock again but for higher prices. The regulars here call it “the STH effect (TM)”

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
It's almost as if the giant "[OUT OF STOCK]" added to the thread title means they're no longer selling for the advertised price?
Well, they did have a limited time pricing thing to incentivize early movers, and you gloious bastards ransacked that stockpile quick. Last week it was a 70% off pricing - now it's merely 50. At 70% off it’s moderately compelling to the point of me risking an argument with the missus to take one home. At 50? Significantly less so.

Last edited:

Auggie

Nov 26, 2022
FYI, you can have your cake and eat it, too, with this little beauty. You can have a pcie card and two 3.5 hdds installed all at the same time, but it does require a mod.

All it took was for me to cut off the pull tabs on the drive sleds. This just barely exposes the pcie slot above the hdds. It's a tight fit, but a pcie card easily fits into the slot, and just barely isn't straight. I'd recommend putting some kapton or other tough tape between the card and hdd, or else risk a short.

Also, between the dual m.2 and an mpcie adapter, it's possible to have 3 corals inside. Probably could do 4 with two dual m.2 and the appropriate cards. I don't know if there's enough cpu to feed this many accelerators, though. Starting testing tonight.

Very impressed with the machine so far. Fairly extensive bios with terrific defaults. The fan in mine is quite quiet, if not totally silent. I already bought a noctua before I even received the machine, so will probably swap it out anyways. For this tiny of a machine, it's not bad to work in.

Attachments

rAardvark

Mar 27, 2021
I got the 3cm version of the ADT-Link R24SF in the mail today and tried it out in order to get a mirrored m-key m.2 drive in the case.
reServerM2Riser.png
It fits between the rear drive sled and motherboard fairly well. The riser cable bend is tight but not overly tight. I put kapton tape on the front of the ssd and back of the riser board just in case it touched the motherboard or drive sled.
reServerM2RiserBend.png
As a result of the bend and elasticity of the riser it does touch both slightly. The capacitor on the top of the riser cable contacts the back of the rear drive sled (circled red) and the far end of the pcb touches the motherboard around the arduino gpio pins/usb pins at the bottom (circled blue).
reServerM2RiserTouchPoints.png

It is a little difficult to get good images in the gap but I can try to improve them if needed. I am going to keep an eye on temps to see how it goes. I might get a low profile m.2 heat sink for the front side if the temps are poor with the kapton. I could also attempt some rubber bumper to space it away from the gpio pins.

Attachments

richard.dzavoronok

Jun 23, 2021
I got the 3cm version of the ADT-Link R24SF in the mail today and tried it out in order to get a mirrored m-key m.2 drive in the case.
View attachment 29785
It fits between the rear drive sled and motherboard fairly well. The riser cable bend is tight but not overly tight. I put kapton tape on the front of the ssd and back of the riser board just in case it touched the motherboard or drive sled.
View attachment 29786
As a result of the bend and elasticity of the riser it does touch both slightly. The capacitor on the top of the riser cable contacts the back of the rear drive sled (circled red) and the far end of the pcb touches the motherboard around the arduino gpio pins/usb pins at the bottom (circled blue).
View attachment 29788

It is a little difficult to get good images in the gap but I can try to improve them if needed. I am going to keep an eye on temps to see how it goes. I might get a low profile m.2 heat sink for the front side if the temps are poor with the kapton. I could also attempt some rubber bumper to space it away from the gpio pins.
I think hdd plate could be used as heatsink with a little bit of redneck engineering.

oddz

Jun 21, 2023
Has anyone gotten a SATA M.2 SSD to be detected in this system? I got my ReServer off of this deal. Want to throw in a tiny 256GB WD Blue I have no other use for as a cache. The Blue works in other systems just fine so it isn't the problem. And another M.2 NVME drive works in the ReServer so I know the M key slot isn't the problem (although I don't have another drive to try in the B key). So I'm starting to think it is some kind of compatibility issue.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Oh yeah, for future reference - the TinyMiniMicro box most similar to this will be the Lenovo ThinkCentre Neo 50q thin client. You'll probably not see it on the secondary markets yet (it's a current gen model), but if you like a small nifty box with 2 DDR4 SODIMM slots, this sort of firepower (obviously minus the 2 3.5" expansion bays, and possibly a single 2.5" SATA bay in certain SKUs) and don't mind a Realtek NIC, it might be worth a look. It should not be TOOOOOO expensive once it hits evilBay or other secondary markets (or check CDW clearance) as thin clients don't tend to hold value all that well. Could make for a nice witness node or a standalone Frigate box.

ghost792

Jun 19, 2023
Oh yeah, for future reference - the TinyMiniMicro box most similar to this will be the Lenovo ThinkCentre Neo 50q thin client. You'll probably not see it on the secondary markets yet (it's a current gen model), but if you like a small nifty box with 2 DDR4 SODIMM slots, this sort of firepower (obviously minus the 2 3.5" expansion bays, and possibly a single 2.5" SATA bay in certain SKUs) and don't mind a Realtek NIC, it might be worth a look. It should not be TOOOOOO expensive once it hits evilBay or other secondary markets (or check CDW clearance) as thin clients don't tend to hold value all that well. Could make for a nice witness node or a standalone Frigate box.
An M70q Gen 3 should be close in specs as well, and maybe available on the second-hand market already. The price is still high, since these units are still available new.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
An M70q Gen 3 should be close in specs as well, and maybe available on the second-hand market already. The price is still high, since these units are still available new.
The m70q gen 3 uses the full T series Alder lakes and would be much more powerful. The Neo 50q gen 4 runs off a 15w TDP chip (it's burstable to 55w which meant it still needs a system fan), but it'll throttle down thanks to the fact that it's Alder Lake, but maybe the extra thermal headroom helps?

tby

Aug 22, 2013
Snellville, GA
set-inform.com
I went for the 15cm version, looped it "under" the motherboard and attached to the case with double-sided tape. Got to be the best spot for airflow but that'll be like 18 screws to get at it again.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
I tried to use an M.2 M key to U.2 adapter, but won't detect the U.2 NVMe SSD. Same adapter tested in another PC.
Any idea what might prevent it being detected?

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Initially through USB pinouts, but later though SATA power for 3.5" disks when i realized U.2 needed 12V.
Will try to power it externally.
Do I need enable ACPI in the BIOS? It's disabled now.

EDIT1: just did test with external SATA power connected to the U.2 adapter and ACPI enabled. Still the same issue.
Now it seems not to be related to powering issue, but something with the M.2 M-key slot. I've also tested an M.2 NVMe SSD on it, just works fine.
Sadly my plan to use my U.2 NVMe SSD seems not to succeed :(

Last edited:

nrtc

Dec 3, 2015
I went for the 15cm version, looped it "under" the motherboard and attached to the case with double-sided tape. Got to be the best spot for airflow but that'll be like 18 screws to get at it again.

Cool, thanks for sharing. Do you think the 10cm version would've been long enough as well? Also, please let us know how well it works temperature-wise.