[CN] Seeed studio reServer 4C/8T for $274.50

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
May 4, 2015
Mine showed up this morning. waiting on memory and drive for it to come in. I can probably have a wifi 6 module at my office I can borrow for testing.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
That's what i just figured out.
Wondering whether an SATA M.2 controller would work? If so i'd connect SATA DOM to it. I must save M.2 M NVMe slot + both SATA ports for storage purposes
Would be pity to let that slot be unused for storage.

Mine arrived this morning. No SATA in the top B Key slot. Doesn't seem like anyone still makes B+M Key NVMe drives.

reasonsandreasons

May 16, 2022
Provided you don't need a ton of storage in that slot, I'm a big fan of Optane M10 drives and those are B+M key. You can get a brand new 32GB drive for $25 or so on ebay. They made a ton of them for the hard disk acceleration market and they were pretty unpopular. Hard to beat the endurance, too.

nrtc

Dec 3, 2015
Mine also arrived this morning in Europe. So far I'm quite pleased with the build quality, although I find it a bit more noisy than I would've liked. Might just be a case of tightening the fan though.

some of the China brands seems to sell still x2 NVME drives. KingSpec PCIE 3.0 x2 NVME up to 1TB

and Transcend is still on market with their MTE452T
Add to this the WD SN520, which still seems to be available on Ebay. Unfortunately only up to 512GB capacity.

I was hoping to mirror two 2TB SSD's, but from the look of it that won't be possible.

rAardvark

Mar 27, 2021
Does it look like a pcie x4 to m.2 riser would fit between the motherboard and back drive sled? Something like the ADT link R24SF with the cable bent near the slot. Or maybe somewhere else in the case with a longer riser cable.

Wendell in the level1techs video says he would use a riser cable but I am still trying to think of the logistics of it as mine is shipping.

bburg

Jun 21, 2017
Does it look like a pcie x4 to m.2 riser would fit between the motherboard and back drive sled? Something like the ADT link R24SF with the cable bent near the slot. Or maybe somewhere else in the case with a longer riser cable.

Wendell in the level1techs video says he would use a riser cable but I am still trying to think of the logistics of it as mine is shipping.
FWIW there are 12mm between the top of the PCIe x4 slot and the drive sled

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
It's a solid build and engineering as others have pointed out. Very clever engineering with great I/O cramped into such a small device. Feel relatively heavy due to metals used, which is good.

Got some time to power it on. Had to use M.2 M-key slot with NVMe 256GB Samsung SSD and 2x 32GB G.Skill 3200Mhz DDR4 SODIMMs. And it seems they actually run at 3200Mhz compared to my HP t740 which clocks it down for some reason.

Installed Alma Linux 9.2 minimal and the idle power draw is 5-6W, at boot around 20W. Also seen up to 30W when loading OS etc.
Amazing device! Thanks a lot @richard.dzavoronok

EDIT01: so that 5-6W idle power is with SATA controller disabled in BIOS. With SATA enabled, it used 8-9W on idle without NVMe, but with SATA DOM (Dell's) connected to SATA 1.
Seems pulling HDMI cable out brings it down to 8W. I've also set the tuned profile to powersave.

Last edited:
Reactions: richard.dzavoronok

nrtc

Dec 3, 2015

I think this might work, there seems to be enough space between the motherboard and the drive sled. You could also loop over the motherboard and hang the SSD on the back of the motherboard (the CPU side), where there is even more space and no moving sled to mess things up.

Any idea where to get/check for BIOS updates?
I believe Upgrading BIOS and Installing Drivers | Seeed Studio Wiki

Nobody else has an annoying noise from the system fan (not extremely loud, but more like a slight rattle)? I'm considering replacing it with something more quiet.

Reactions: rAardvark

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Well, it's back in stock for 275 -> reServer - Compact Edge Server powered by 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i3 1125G4

(not planning to buy one any time soon - I already have a Tiger Lake i5-1135G7 and an Alder Lake i5-1240P board from framework that I’ll need to repurpose. The missus frowns upon the presence of buying even more hardware, but hey, the seeed’s probably good value for money for someone out there)

Last edited:

No.15

May 17, 2023
I got mine to TN yesterday, super fast shipping. Unfortunately I am one of those who failed reading comprehension and purchase the one with the i3-1115g4.

I like it, starting to test right now. Came with

1 stick kingston 16gb ram (cbd32d4s2s8me-16) https://www.minisforum.com/ueditor/file/20201222/1608601679762470.pdf

Samsung 512 981a

intel ax201ngw wireless card

Just reporting so you guys know what's included if you order

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Someone mentioned they'd be the same CPU as the bare bone orders? Did you boot up and check @No.15 ?
@nrtc I will keep that noise in mind to see if it's the same case here. But yeah, i had the same thoughts as you before receiving my device. I'm gonna have things cramped into it so i expect fan to ramp up and make noise. Likely Noctua fans would do the job more quietly!

I am planning to use M.2 M-key to U.2 adapter for a 7.68TB SSD disk and the SSD needs power. For that my hope is to use the unused 4-pins SATA power (middle one between those 3). I've ordered https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002821028467.html, not sure if that's the correct one.
I also hope to use the same power output to split into further 2 SATA power to be able to power an additional SATA DOM (that i'm gonna install on an M.2 2-ports SATA B+M key adapter). There is also a possibility to get power from 9-pins USB2.0 pins that are located to the left of SATA 4-pin power.
If i can achieve all the above mentioned, i'd be super satisfied!

rAardvark

Mar 27, 2021
There is a post on the Seeed forums also complaining about the stock fan. They replaced it with a noctua and added a second fan on top to bring temps down. The stl model might be of use to others

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
That is useful. Would a Noctua NF-A9x14 be of correct size for the bottom fan? I tried to measure from outside and it seem to be a 90mm fan.
That forum link user replaced it with NF-A9! Thanks!

No.15

May 17, 2023
Someone mentioned they'd be the same CPU as the bare bone orders? Did you boot up and check @No.15 ?
@nrtc I will keep that noise in mind to see if it's the same case here. But yeah, i had the same thoughts as you before receiving my device. I'm gonna have things cramped into it so i expect fan to ramp up and make noise. Likely Noctua fans would do the job more quietly!

I am planning to use M.2 M-key to U.2 adapter for a 7.68TB SSD disk and the SSD needs power. For that my hope is to use the unused 4-pins SATA power (middle one between those 3). I've ordered https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002821028467.html, not sure if that's the correct one.
I also hope to use the same power output to split into further 2 SATA power to be able to power an additional SATA DOM (that i'm gonna install on an M.2 2-ports SATA B+M key adapter). There is also a possibility to get power from 9-pins USB2.0 pins that are located to the left of SATA 4-pin power.
If i can achieve all the above mentioned, i'd be super satisfied!
115g4 confirmed

20230613_153916.jpg

Reactions: fossxplorer

pancake_riot

Nov 5, 2021
I just received my i3-1125G4 today. Thoughts:

Regarding the PCIe x4 slot, there is a bit of clearance there where you might be able to put an extra SSD in on a ribbon cable type of adapter. It's a little strange that they put the slot on there at all given that the motherboard seems to have been designed with this exact form factor in mind.

I have not noticed any unusual fan noise. The sensors command isn't showing me speed data from the fan header, but while I was in the BIOS next to the machine I did check and it was hovering around 1200RPM. I put my ear up to the bottom and could hear the fan spinning.

The form factor is a little odd compared to my fleet of OptiPlex Micros, but the build quality is fantastic. It's refreshing to see metal drive trays with retention screws instead of more plastic garbage.

nrtc

Dec 3, 2015
There is a post on the Seeed forums also complaining about the stock fan. They replaced it with a noctua and added a second fan on top to bring temps down. The stl model might be of use to others
Thanks for this info! The post describes my situation exactly: it sounds more like a faulty bearing rather than a fan under high load. I guess I just got a lemon, but nothing a noctua won't fix. The system fan in my case is an AVC "DS09225R12M" 92x92x25 4 pin 0.3A model. It has a smaller pitch connector than usual, but the required adapter cable is included in the box.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Prepared the OS on an SATA DOM before getting M.2 B+M key SATA adapter by using the built in SATA with some adapters:
Images at (can't seem to attach images here) images

With this setup i see idle power draw at 8-9W, which is perhaps a bit closer to Ryzen v1756B in HP t740. Although Intel's 1125G4 is at around 15% stronger in performance (according to Passmark).