[CLOSED] Intel Arc A40 Pro Single Slot GPUs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Last edited:

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
I got the sparkle version for $99 on Amazon because I needed qsv for transcoding video files. There's a couple of OEM versions with/out the power cable requirements and single/dual slot options.

I just don't see what makes the A40 the better option. Sure, it's a single slot compact card but on the technical level it's the same card. Just my observation and I was curious because I had not heard of the A40.

Reactions: Samir

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I got the sparkle version for $99 on Amazon because I needed qsv for transcoding video files. There's a couple of OEM versions with/out the power cable requirements and single/dual slot options.

I just don't see what makes the A40 the better option. Sure, it's a single slot compact card but on the technical level it's the same card. Just my observation and I was curious because I had not heard of the A40.
Links for US region? But yes, form factor is the main selling point over the desktop Arc versions.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Generally it's form factor since there are far fewer cards in this size format, so there's a premium for them. You can easily see the differences here:

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
None of them are single slot.
And that's generally what makes a 'low profile single slot no power' card more valuable as it has all 3 things while other cards have only one or two of these characteristics. It was the same with low profile cards of earlier generations--try to find a 1050ti low profile or 750ti low profile with no power requirement and cheap--hard to find. And the single slot versions, which barely even exist are the proverbial 'hen's teeth'.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
And that's generally what makes a 'low profile single slot no power' card more valuable as it has all 3 things while other cards have only one or two of these characteristics. It was the same with low profile cards of earlier generations--try to find a 1050ti low profile or 750ti low profile with no power requirement and cheap--hard to find. And the single slot versions, which barely even exist are the proverbial 'hen's teeth'.
Exactly. I'm sticking to of these in my server tomorrow.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
As far as i am aware you need to have display plugged in to the card for the av1 transcode to work. Not sure if you aren't forced to use windows with it too... keep in mind.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
As far as i am aware you need to have display plugged in to the card for the av1 transcode to work. Not sure if you aren't forced to use windows with it too... keep in mind.
I've seen people encoding with them headless in Linux/docker. It's just QSV in FFMPEG.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
I've seen people complain on intel community forum about this - if its been resolved then ignore my post.

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
I use mine in Linux and it takes a bit of trickery to get it dialed in but, it's much more effective/efficient than CPU only on AMD.

Immediate results were 1/8th the time required but, still was using 75% CPU until I dialed it in with proper modules. Now with the correct modules and settings it's 10% CPU. Some files hit 1000 fps and others are a bit slower but depends on the original format.

The interesting thing about qsv and Arc cards is it doesn't change performance if you add more ram or xe cores. $100 or $350 cards perform the same. For games though it's likely different.

Reactions: Samir and monotux

Auggie

Nov 26, 2022
I use mine in Linux and it takes a bit of trickery to get it dialed in but, it's much more effective/efficient than CPU only on AMD.

Immediate results were 1/8th the time required but, still was using 75% CPU until I dialed it in with proper modules. Now with the correct modules and settings it's 10% CPU. Some files hit 1000 fps and others are a bit slower but depends on the original format.

The interesting thing about qsv and Arc cards is it doesn't change performance if you add more ram or xe cores. $100 or $350 cards perform the same. For games though it's likely different.
Would you care to share what modules you added to get it to work properly?

AV encode mostly only uses the encoding blocks and a small amount of RAM of the GPU, almost all the rest of the GPU chip and memory goes unutilized for encoding and decoding media.

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
Would you care to share what modules you added to get it to work properly?
Well, my issue is I run non standard kernel versions so the module versions by default don't line up with them. I use handbrake and they have a couple of options for install which complicates things a bit more.

I took the info from Intel and added those modules and then compiled handbrake because flatpak reminds me of snaps and I would rather not have odd package management.

I had to grab the modules manually and update others as well manually to get it working with lower resources. There's some additional add-ons that need to be installed to engage the GPU in handbrake properly.