Clonezilla Restore Problem

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum--I tried to find where this subject has been brought up before and this looked like the best place.

I purchased a supermicro x9scf-l based i3-2120 system on craiglist a few years back running win 7. It was working fine and in my usual course of backups before re-configuration, I imaged the original win 7 on the primary 500gb drive using clonezilla (a 2nd 500gb drive is also installed). I then proceeded to set up the system for production and installed timefreeze to lock out any changes on the os.

The system ran great for a few years, and then suddenly wasn't accessable anymore via rdp after an accidental reboot. Since I never messed with IMPI (or even plugged it in), I couldn't find out what happened until I was on site later.

Once on site I connected a monitor and noticed that windows had a problem booting, and even after its repair process, it couldn't fix itself. After trying everything to try to fix the existing windows install, I decided to just restore the original state that I imaged a few years ago using clonezilla as that is a pretty much guaranteed solution.

And this is where the problem begins. Initially, clonezilla said the image was for sdb and not sda and would need to re-adjust it (forgot the exact term) for sda. It did this on the fly for the restore--this didn't boot. Error message to the effect of 'insert a drive with a bootable partition' coming from the bios.

So then I let it restore to sdb and just re-ordered the drives to have sdb boot. This didn't boot either. Same error message.

Now, I didn't sit and watch the restore processes as it was taking 3hrs each, and the messages once clonezilla was complete didn't indicate any errors--unless there were some earlier and it didn't mention them at the end. Whenever I've had errors of any sort before there's usually a message in red at the end, but I've only had this happen a few times, so maybe I missed something.

sdb, the second 500gb drive, was formatted and completely empty when I got the system so I don't think I imaged the wrong drive as the backup image is 40gb+. And I'm not sure why the image won't boot as I haven't changed anything hardware-wise on the system either. It's the first time I've had an image restore not work like this and am completely dumbfounded.

I appreciate any ideas or thoughts. I'm totally stumped at this point. :(

And feel free to ask questions and I'll get answer right away since I'm right here with the system now. Thank you everyone!

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Could you have imaged only the windows partition? Maybe missing the efi/ boot partition? Is the disk you are restoring to marked active/ bootable? What does you favourite partitioning tool say is configured on the disk you are trying to boot from?

Obviously, although I didn't mention it, the image could be corrupted. Did you test the image and checksum it before archiving it? Does the checksum match?

Last edited:

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I told it to image the whole drive, so I don't think it missed the small boot partition. I'm assuming it would be marked active/bootable since that's what the partition in the image should be. I haven't tried a partitioning tool yet to see if it's just a partition issue.

I didn't do a check image before restoring. That will be a test to try as well as some of the other restore options like writing the mbr again after restore.