Cisco UCS Server Rizer Compatibility | Use two rizers of type one | How bad is this idea?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

UnknownPommes

Aug 28, 2022
TLDR: Is it possible to use Rizers labeled "Rizer 1" in the Rizer 2 spot with Cisco UCS C240 M4 Servers?

I got a bunch of Cisco C240 M4 servers (some branded M4, some M4SX and some BE7000H) but they are all basically the same regarding the pcie setup.
Originally you could order all three of them with three different options for rizer 1 and some of them with one others with two for rizer 2.

Since several servers came only with Rizer 1 installed (including a few that are for parts) i was wondering if i could just take the Rizer 1 out of the for parts servers and use them as second rizers in the other ones?
They physically fit without problems but didnt try to power them on like that, worst case it wont recognize them / wont work, but shouldnt damage anything, right?

Thanks for any input

From the Manual of the M4SX - Top three are options for Rizer 1 and the bottom one is the only available Rizer 2 option for the C240 M4SX, in total i have 5 rizers left over if the first rizer slot is populated on all servers i am going to use.
1.png