Cisco switch prototype

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tssrshot

Mar 18, 2015
Omaha, NE
I'm not going to try not to sound too much like a scaredy cat, but I'd pass. They are typically test units so they're run ragged and tossed in the trash for these eBay folk to dig out.

I bought one last year, decent deal 3750g-16. It came up with non standard IOS and was tough to work with. The fan was going 100% the whole time. Like a jet engine. After a day I went into the basement and found it had gotten so hot it melted the case on the top of my Synology. I messaged the dude on eBay, politely, and the response was just a "Sorry, man" and a full refund.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick and ridney

ridney

Dec 8, 2015
Singapore
thanks for the replies guys. i was having second thoughts about it and you guys just confirmed it. i'd better pass on this one

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I just got the 7050QX-32. It is loud. How many ports to you need? Do you want a CLI or would you rather have a GUI?

ridney

Dec 8, 2015
Singapore
I only need 4 ports and some uplink but since this is 32 ports I may just run everything on it. I see there are 4 fans, can they be modded or just run 2 fans instead?

I prefer GUI but I dont mind CLI.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I pulled the Arista fans a few days ago as I want the opposite airflow direction. It looked like it was possible but was going to require some work. I am not sure if you can make them quiet and maintain proper cooling. Also, there are 4 chassis fans and 2 PSU fans.

This is arriving later today: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K2Y1HP0/

Low port switch chips have hit the market recently that greatly reduce power consumption.

Reactions: ridney