Cisco RPS 2300 questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cyberguyen

Jul 7, 2020
I was hoping that some one would have experience with the Cisco RPS 2300 redundant power supply unit.

I have a RPS 2300 and 2 x 1150 watt PSU installed.

There is 2 cisco switches connected.

I was of the impression that I could remove the power to one of the PSU's and then it would fail over?
But one of the switches looses the power when testing.

Is the redundancy only obtained through the switches own PSU combined with the RPS 2300?

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Hey, that is correct, redundancy is via the switches own PSU combined with the RPS. As well, even though the RPS has 6 ports, it can only power 2 devices. And depending on which switches you're using, the only way to switch back to the on-board PSU, is to reboot the switch in question.

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Yup, I'm aware you can connect 6 devices, but only 2 can be powered.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/p...ystem-2300/redundant_power_system_2300_qa.pdf

From the first answer on the first page:

"The Cisco RPS 2300 helps ensure failover from internal power supply failures for one or two of up to six connected switches or routers"

The RPS 2300 doesn't allocate power from a budget, so much as it just redirect one or two of the power supplies to one or two devices, first come, first served.

Hope that helps!

Cyberguyen

Jul 7, 2020
I was hoping Cisco was a little smarter and I could drive 6 switches with the two PSU's taken care of failover o_O

I have 2 x 1150 watt psu and each can only drive ONE of my 50-60 watt switches - this is waste of resources and rackspace.

This means that a failure in the primary power environment will always bring down my switches unless I have RPS2300 and a PSU for every switch. :(

The only way to mitigate this is to put some of the switches in a second primary power enviroment and have the RPS2300 in the backup power enviroments.

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Yeah, when I implemented one myself I ran into the exact same limitation. I've ended up pulling it out due to its limitations. If possible it's better to just buy switches with redundant power.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.