Cisco C6800IA-48FPD noise reduction and power consumption?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I was given a Cisco C6800IA-48-FPD switch in "unknown" condition. Tested it out this morning and it seems to POST just fine. I was thinking of using this for my home lab rack, but it's got a very loud exhaust fan, although it does quiet down a bit after POST it's still louder than I'd like. After opening it up, I can see that it's mostly for cooling the internal PSU, which makes sense since it is also a PoE+ switch with 740W capacity. But since I don't really plan to use the PoE feature, I'm wondering if I can reduce the noise level by changing the cooling fan? Has anyone done this before?

Also, at idle after POST, and nothing connected, it was sitting at about 47W power consumption. How does this compare to other modern 48-port switches? Before I put more time into modding this, just wondering if maybe there are more power efficient units with similar features (minus the PoE, which I don't need)?

mstrzyze

Nov 9, 2015
Hello

IA means instant access technology

This switch can work only with "parrent" catalyst 6800. So without that is useless

Reactions: Jon Massey