Cisco 3750E Questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
I've been reading up on Cisco 3750E-series switches and found that they usually have a pair of 10G ports on them. Being that I've not used much Cisco gear, I have the following questions:

1. Anyone have a good idea what the non-POE 48pt model's power consumption at idle and under load is like?
2. What's the real-world noise level like on that model of switch?
3. Am I understanding correctly that I can get a pair of transceivers that will allow me to get 2x SFP+ ports that will allow me to connect a pair of Netgear XS708E switches? If so, what hardware would I need (and what resources are there to help me sift through all the info so I could get this type of info on my own?)

A couple caveats on my comfort level with noise. I run 2x Netgear XS708E switches, 2x Dell R710s, 2x Dell R720's, a Dell R210II, a Supermicro 846 fully loaded with drives, and a handful of other quiet networking and computing devices in my rack. Not a fan of 40mm noise, nor excuses about that equipment being built for the data center where noise doesn't matter. Just need info on how the gear works in a 77 degree 10x20 room so I know if it'll drive me nuts.

Any help would be appreciated!

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Ok, I'll give it a bash for ya...

The power consumption will obviously depend on what you have going on with it. At idle my 3560G's pull around 40W, at full tilt for me I'm seeing around 200W. Model dependent, so YMMV :)

As far as I know, they use the same fan assembly as the 3560G, which is fairly quiet when it's just ticking over. It's not dreadful either when it's running full tilt, but it's definitely not what I would call quiet. It runs on a pseudo PWM though, so it does find optimum minimal speed based on workload. It's not a rocket like some. They do run hot though, especially the POE versions, so don't go modding it :)

They come with 2 x 10Gbit convertible ports on them. You can get convertors (TwinGig's) to convert each 10Gbit port into 2 x 1Gbps SFP ports or you can get a single (OneX) convertor module that will take a single SFP+ module. I see no real reason why you couldn't run one link to each of your Netgear switches if you wanted to.

Here is some light reading for ya :)

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
And to add.. the 3750x series is hardware wise 100% the same as 3750e
Btw if someone is interested in a 3750e stack ( 2x 3750e) with the 4x 1g gbic module installed in both drop me a msg

Reactions: Jerry Renwick

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
Hmm, thinking the power usage won't be justified... I have little need for advanced feature sets, though they would be great for learning. I mostly need the raw throughput with VLANS. Thanks for the input, guys!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk