Cisco 350XG-24F vs 550XG-24F?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I can't seem to find much good information on the difference between the 350 and 550 series of these models. The Cisco data sheets seem show the following:

Cisco 550XG-24F: 22 10G SFP+ slots + 2 combo 10G copper/SFP+ plus 1 GE OOB management

Cisco 350XG-24F: 22 XG SFP+ slots + 2 combo XG copper/SFP+ plus 1 GE OOB management

Is there actually a difference between 10G or XG that other than their annotation?

aero

Apr 27, 2016
I see almost no differences other than the 550 supporting 8 in a stack, and the 350 only 4.

It looks like the XG notation is simply 10Gb. I can't find any information to the contrary.

warlord1312

Sep 17, 2015
In addition to the above I see differences in jumbo frames (350X is the winner), ACLs (350X is the winner), and IPv6 static routes (odd tie, 350X has less routes and more interfaces and 550X has more routes and less interfaces) according to:
Cisco 350X Series Stackable Managed Switches Data Sheet
Cisco 550X Series Stackable Managed Switches Data Sheet

The one thing that doesn't make sense to me in those datasheets is the power consumption numbers as the 550 seems to use almost double the power of the 350.

It looks like the 550 also has the following info:
"The Cisco 550X Series is designed to deliver hardware redundancy at the lowest incremental cost. Power redundancy is delivered with the Cisco RPS2300 external RPS system. If power to the switch is lost (through loss of AC power or power supply failure), the switch will automatically, and instantaneously, obtain its power from the RPS. This switchover occurs so quickly that there is no loss in traffic or reboot of the device. A Cisco RPS2300 system can be connected to up to six 550X Series switches to provide redundancy. Cooling fan redundancy is delivered through preinstalled N+1 configuration. A switch can fully support all its capabilities for the life of the product with only N fans. If one of the fans fails, the spare fan automatically takes over, without causing any downtime.

The Cisco 550X Series provides an additional layer of resiliency with support for the Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP). VRRP lets you extend the same resiliency that stacking provides for individual switches to complete network domains. By running VRRP between two stacks, you can instantly cut over from one stack to another in the event of a problem and continue operating even after a failure."

Having said that it looks like the 550X has LEDs for the RPS and Fans.

I guess some power consumption increase is explained by the fan redundancy but where is the rest going?

It also looks like the USB port has different functions:
350X: For file-management purposes
550X: USB slot on the front panel of the switch for easy file and image management

Both of the models also seem to support completely different cloud services.

Also looks like 550X has support for RIP and the 350X doesn't.

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I guess it's possible different CPU in each can make the power different , could be a newer die shrunk version in the 350 maybe