CIFS speeds with FreeNAS on Proxmox?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

croakz

Nov 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
I'm building a new AIO and FreeNAS on Proxmox seemed pretty interesting. I started playing around with FreeNAS bare metal, and was getting over 100 MB/s speeds from a Win7 desktop to FreeNAS. I got FreeNAS working on Proxmox with passthrough on a LSI 9207, and now the same setup is only getting my 75-80 MB/s.

How much CIFS drop off can I expect, going from bare metal FreeNAS to FreeNAS on Proxmox? This seems like a config issue.

Hardware:
2 x E5-2670
64GB RAM
Asrock Rack EP2C602-4LD16
LSI 9207-8i (pass through to FreeNAS)
10 x HGST Deskstar 7K4000 (raidz2)

Software:
Proxmox 4.1
FreeNAS 9.3 (4 cores, 32GB RAM)

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I am no FreeBSD export or anything, but have you considered adding a separate NIC to the machine and passing that through to the VM?

Edit: A 2 port Intel 1000 PT card like this HP NC360T is only 10$ with US shipping, and you can probably easily find something cheaper/better than that.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
With Proxmox, I might even skip using FreeNAS and just use ZFS on Linux storage. It lets you skip the VM, pass-through of the disk controller, exporting storage and then re-importing it into Proxmox. Check this guide: Add a mirrored zpool to Proxmox VE and modify for whatever parity you want.

Reactions: canta

canta

Nov 26, 2014
With Proxmox, I might even skip using FreeNAS and just use ZFS on Linux storage. It lets you skip the VM, pass-through of the disk controller, exporting storage and then re-importing it into Proxmox. Check this guide: Add a mirrored zpool to Proxmox VE and modify for whatever parity you want.
Promox support ZFS on Linux :D... and totally agree with you!

croakz

Nov 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Got pass through of a nic going, not sure what is different than before. Now getting ~105 MB/s from my Win7 box to FreeNAS on Proxmox, bare metal was around 110 MB/s. Still gotta figure out why a virtualized nic was only getting me 75-80 MB/s.

Reactions: Patrick

Markus

Oct 25, 2015
When you passthrough a nic the FreeNAS-VM uses the hardware directly with the correct driver.
If you don't passthrough the nic the FreeNAS-VM has to use the virt-io-part.

I have to test it as soon as my hw stuff will arrive. Then I have a 3 node-cluster with a big storage-vm on one node and can test the same.

Regards
Markus

canta

Nov 26, 2014
use OVS thant traditional linux bridge, OVS has better performance than traditional linux bridge