CIFS on Proxmox

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
I have a repository of ISO's that I use to create VMs. I have added that share to my proxmox cluster, but when I go to create a VM I cannot navigate in that share to the ISO directory. Any idea why that is?

Last edited:

mbosma

Dec 4, 2018
Proxmox creates a folder structure when mounting a share.
The main ones are:
/dump (backups)
/template/iso (iso folder)
/template/cache (lxc images)

You'll have to put the iso's in the correct folder to be able to mount them in vm's.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
I didn’t see anything in the share when I looked in it, do I have to reboot for it to create the structure?

mbosma

Dec 4, 2018
Shouldn't be necessary.
Maybe the proxmox server doesn't have write permissions on the share?

mbosma

Dec 4, 2018
You could try to upload an iso using the proxmox webgui to that share, if that fails you probably have a permission issue.
The issue will have to be resolved on the share server by setting different permissions or on the proxmox server by providing a different credentials for connecting to the share.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
I get permission denied when I try and make a directory via the command line on proxmox. The user for the proxmox login has the same permissions that the windows login has. This won't overwrite what I already have saved on this share will it?

mbosma

Dec 4, 2018
It won't overwrite current data on the share, only a new folder structure will be created within the share so proxmox can find it's data.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
I can't see to figure this out. The CIFS share is from a FreeNAS server and its not allowing me create a directory. Here are the permissions for the user that I use to connect via the proxmox servers.
1589830941073.png

mbosma

Dec 4, 2018
You're setting the permissions for the home directory of that user and not the ones for the pool/share with those boxes.
In the pools tab you click on the 3 dots next to a pool and select "edit permissions".

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
I have successfully added the share, it had to do with the permissions on the FreeNAS server. I had to manually mount the gifs share on each physical server tho. Adding it through the ProxMox GUI didn't propagate it to all 4 servers.