Chromecast issues...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I have a pretty basic setup, but I'm wondering if perhaps I might have a config issue keeping casting from working. This crew is the most knowledgeable on networking that I know, so I thought I would ask here.

Hardware involved..

Aruba S2500-48P
Ubiquiti AC-Pro
Xaomi Mi box
Nvidia Shield TV (2019)
2 different Android phones, V20 and Galaxy S8 on wifi
pfSense gateway for internet and vlan routing

I'm upgrading the Mi boxes to the Shield, 2 in total. The Mi is wifi only, Shield is connected via Ethernet. I will try it on wifi just to see if that matters, but I need it on Ethernet. It should help isolate possible issues.

The Mi works as a cast receiver fine. The Shield does not. I get no response from it when attempting to cast to it, though it does show on the Android devices as being available. My thought is that the managed switch might have something set up that is preventing the multicast traffic from passing. I have no experience with multicast though, so I hoped someone here might have seen a similar issue.

Google searching brought up a possible issue with ipv6. I don't have a RA running, so I disabled ipv6 on the Shield anyway with no change. The other issue people mentioned was updates, but everything in the play store shows updated on all devices.

General traffic works fine, internal and internet.

There are some VLANS, the devices are all on the same VLAN though, and I am not trying to route between them. Same subnet as well, so it shouldn't be a routing issue with pfSense or similar. The switch is mostly the default configuration, just some VLAN isolation and tagging.

I have a couple test ideas. One is to put the Shield on wifi. That makes everything wifi based so the Aruba is out of the loop. Another is to use a non-managed switch between the AP and the Shield on Ethernet. Need to get out the power inserter as I'm using the PoE on the switch to power the AP right now.