Chrome update prevents esxi web interface access

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mason

Jun 10, 2016
Best I can tell, the recent update for Chrome blocks accessing a newly installed esxi homelab setup's web interface.

The esxi server says it's running on 192.168.0.209
Attempts to use chrome to get to 192.168.0.209 result in:

This site can’t provide a secure connection
192.168.0.209 uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH​

details have

Unsupported protocol
The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite.​

I can use Putty to access the esxi system (after directly accessing the system and enabling esxishell and ssl).
I also booted an older VM with an older Win10/Chrome setup and had no issues reaching the esxi web interface.
I've checked the time on both and they're sync'd.

Any suggestions?
Is there a way to force chrome to just connect to an address?
Is there a way to update the SSL certs on esxi to be compliant with the new Chrome enforcement?

Mason

Jun 10, 2016
I should note, that previously, I have setup and accessed esxi test labs. All previous times, when trying to access the wed interface from a separate local system, I got a warning and could click on proceed if you are sure kind of message.

CZ Eddie

Oct 13, 2018
Wow, same here.
Web Client was working last week, the last time I used it.
Now today I get the same error as you.

Chrom Dev here.

CZ Eddie

Oct 13, 2018
Yeah, I tried adding my vSphere URL to the bypass list (or whatever it's called) but Bitdefender kept locking it down anyway. So I gave up and moved to a different Antivirus.

Raj Veera

Dec 22, 2018
Exactly! Disabled BitDefender and it worked. Launch Bitdefender --> Protection --> Protection Shield --> "OFF"