Chinese M1015 RAID Controllers: Any good or beware?

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by Churchill, May 25, 2016.

1. Churchill

Churchill Admiral

I'm in the market for a pair of M1015 RAID cards for work. We are building out our backup servers and need a few controllers for disk storage.

That being said I can get a Chinese shipped M1015 for $75 on ebay but I'm quite leery about them as I've heard stories about them not working just like the old ones that used to be server pulls.

Is this a problem I should be worried about or just buy a 3rd just in case? Any recommendation on a sub $100 SATA/SAS RAID card that will do RAID-2 disks RAID 6-6 disks?

2. pricklypunter

pricklypunter Well-Known Member

Stick to genuine branded cards, IBM, Dell etc if you don't want a sore head further down the road. Some of the guys here have been posting up good cards for sale in the trade forums, so get a wanted ad up and I'm sure someone will be able to help, also keep an eye on ebay, there's some good deals there too quite often :)

3. Sleyk

Sleyk Active Member

Hey Churchill my friend! So you like the small boobed m1015's? Can I interest you in the older, more mature lsi 3081? She has a great rack too! Just kidding! She's a first gen card. You need a 2nd gen.

Where do you live? Do you live in the states? Why buy a m1015 from China?

Well, I did read a long time ago that the Chinese m1015's actually worked well for some people. Can't remember where I read it though.

I would stick to the genuine one's if at all possible though, as Pricklypunter mentioned. Unless branded as from one of the big names. It can be better as a safeguard against wondering in the future if any problems are attributed to the cheaper if not knockoff Chinese controllers.

Nevertheless, the price works for you my friend, so I won't tell you not to consider it, as I hate to just knock down your idea just because it doesn't sound/resonate with me, but we are here to help.

Here ya go:

LSI SATA SAS 9210-8I 6GB/S PCI-EXPRESS 2.0 RAID CONTROLLER CARD 92108I GKPW4 NEW

Try to best offer the shit out of his ass. See what he may take. You never know. I'm about to best offer the shit out of him too. I could use one more of these cards for my collection.

Would you consider the Dell h310? Its the exact same controller (sas2008) and are the exact same thing to flash as the m1015. The h310's are now going pretty cheaply. Its my favorite 2nd gen sas card for 8 internal ports. The h200 is the same card as well, just different port orientation. These listings may help you decide what you like better.

Here ya go my friend:

Dell Perc H310 RAID Controller 6GB/s RAID Controller Adapter - 3P0R3

And the Dell h200:

Dell PERC H200 6Gb/s PCI-e SAS SATA 8-Port Raid Controller SAS2008 9210-8i 47MCV

Good luck!

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  4. Sleyk

Sleyk Active Member

wsuff likes this.