Checking ASUS Z11PA-D8 BIOS revision without a supported CPU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
I have a Z11PA-D8 that I picked up and a Cascade Lake ES (QQ8M) CPU. With a single 8GB DDR4-2400 RDIMM (not on the QVL, I believe) in slot A1, the board hangs on post code BB with the message "System Memory Abnormal" in the lower right corner of the screen. Looking around, this could be a legitimate memory error, or a CPU initialization error due to missing microcodes.

Is there any way to check the BIOS revision on an Asus board before the board POSTs? On Supermicro boards you can do it through the IPMI, but I didn't see an equivalent feature in the Asus board's web interface.

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
Well, I never did figure out how to check the BIOS version through IPMI, and ended up buying a cheap Bronze 3104 and a stick of DDR4-2133 to get it to boot. It was in fact on an ancient (circa 2017!) BIOS revision; updating the BIOS to 5103 via EzFlash let it boot with the QQ8M as expected.

Reactions: RolloZ170