Check if Oracle SAS drive is vendor locked?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Damo

Sep 7, 2022
I purchased some very cheap ORACLE 7332759 10TB off Ebay I am worried they maybe vendor locked? (proprietary firmware) how can I go about testing these for that? Right now they are plugged into a SAS826TQ backplane + Adaptec ASR71605 and they seem to be working so is that a no?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I'm not sure what you mean with "vendor locked" hdds.
It's possible to encrypt them, it's possible to use non standard sector sizes for "raid magic". But in both cases it should be possible to rerformat the hdd and make it usable on other systems.

Damo

Sep 7, 2022
I'm not sure what you mean with "vendor locked" hdds.
It's possible to encrypt them, it's possible to use non standard sector sizes for "raid magic". But in both cases it should be possible to rerformat the hdd and make it usable on other systems.
I've read some of these Oracle disk only fully work in Sun Oracle systems for example Sun Oracle X4270 M3 2U server 12 bay LFF + 2 SFF 2x 8C 2.20ghz E5-2660 32gb 2xPS | eBay is there truth in that? It did say it was rare.

shiin03

Apr 25, 2023
i have a few Oracle drives on my desktop works without problem. i've heard of this but never caught one yet. chance is the system itself that locks itself from "unverified" drives meaning you can only buy their re-branded drives in order to get the system works (Synology for example)

Reactions: Damo