Cheapest way to get Fibre into an iMac?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kevin Peters

Jan 21, 2021
I'm very close to starting a little lockdown project to deploy some fibre in my house. This has been driven by two things: 1. the cat5e cable to my study only connects at 100Mbps (can't find anything wrong with it.) and 2. I have just bought a new NAS with 2.5 Gbe and a PICe that could host a 10Gbe SFP+ card.

I have settled on a Zyxel XGS1010-12 switch (£130).

My 2017 iMac has a 1Gbe Ethernet port and the one thing causing me to pause is how I can get any fibre above into it faster than 1Gbe?

I see affordable 2.5 Gbe and 5Gbe (limited to 3.5Gbe) ethernet USB 3 adapters (e.g. Sabrent NT-SS5G: £60). I see relatively expensive Thunderbolt SFP+ adapters (Sonnet Solo 10G: £250). What I don't see is a relatively affordable USB SFP+ adapter at 1Gbe, 2.5Gbe, or 5Gbe.

At this rate running a Cat6A cable and buying a Sabrent 2.5Gbe USB3 adapter (£32) seems far more cost effective!

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Qnap and Sonnet both make Thunderbolt 3 10Gbe one model has 1x RJ-45 and the other has 1x +SFP which can take a fiber transceiver or DAC cable. The Sonnet does not have a fan, which makes it better than the Qnap. I have the Sonnet +SFP and is does everything on the box, gets mildly warm.
10G is the way to go, it is much easier to get equipment that is just works.

AdditionalPylons

Apr 12, 2016
Oslo, Norway
The QNAP QNA-T310G1S (Thunderbolt 3 to SFP+) does not have a fan. Note the S in the end, which is for SFP+.
This is in contrast to the QNAP-QNA-T310G1T (Thunderbolt 3 to RJ45 10Gbase-T) which has a fan and has many user complaints about being loud.

Kevin Peters

Jan 21, 2021
Thanks guys, I guess that answers my question that the two options I listed are what I need to choose from. As suggested elsewhere I think I will run both types of cable and use copper in the short term.