Cheap DAS/JBOD for backups?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
Hello

Im looking for a cheap DAS to hook up to one existing server for backups. Since it will only be used for backups it does not need to be that fast.

I need something like this,
- capable of using 4TB+ drives
- 12+ slots for 3.5'' SATA drives
- Rack mountable
- Cheap
- dual PSU if possible

Lurking the forum here i see that the ThinkServer SA120 might be a good option?
Any other good recommendations? Since im in EU the shipping from US is always an issue :(

Thanks!

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
SA120 only does SAS drives in the main bays. It does 2x2.5" SATA at the back.

I'd do a Rackable SE-3016. Used, won't be dual PSU, but meets your other requirements.

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
SA120 only does SAS drives in the main bays. It does 2x2.5" SATA at the back.

I'd do a Rackable SE-3016. Used, won't be dual PSU, but meets your other requirements.
The SA120 do take SATA drives according to users in this thread https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...nkserver-sa120-rackmount-das.6829/#post-60448

But again the SE-3016 looks like a good alternative.

I did however reach the conclusion that we can move the motherboard, cpu and ram from the old server to a new storage chassi instead of getting a separate DAS. Will be a lower power-bill to scrap the current chassi we are using (which is a supermicro 8x2.5'' but we need 3.5'' now for large drives) and we can re-use the existing raid-card.

Going down that route some alternatives seems to be:
- Inter-Tech IPC 3U-3316L (16 Bay, no psu, ebay europe)
- X-Case RM 316 Pro (16 bay, psu, xcase.co.uk europe)

Or maybe a old HP DL180 G6 will do if the current supermicro motherboard can fit in it.

Decisions decisions decisions....

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Check out the HP StorageWorks MSA60. I picked one up quite a while back for ~$180 with all of the trays. Fits all of your requirements... except Europe. Not sure on that one.

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
I completely disagree with the concept of only backing up to the same server. It's not a backup at all if you do that; especially if everything is powered by the same psu. Just ask Patrick what he thinks about that. Patrick has some personal experience with major downtime and data loss because of that.

You need to back up to the server internally, copy that go another external server (not just das, an entirely different server) and then copy it off site.

Reactions: Naeblis

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
If you can move the board into a new chassis, then I'd probably just do Supermicro SC846. Dunno about availability in Europe though.

Agreed: MSA60 is also a good option.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
I completely disagree with the concept of only backing up to the same server.
My use of File History on Windows 10 would like a word with you. :p

(I know what you mean, but local backups have their uses and can save tons of time)

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Personally if it's local storage I don't think it's worthy of the moniker "backup"; local replica maybe but it's still only a PSU failure or errant rm -rf away from being toast.

Personally I'd build a same-site backup server before I added a bag full o' discs... if you're already buying a chassis, PSU and discs, adding a mobo and CPU isn't that much extra expense and gets you much better potential resiliency. But all depends on your use case I guess.

cbiggers

Nov 8, 2015
The SA120 do take SATA drives according to users in this thread https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...nkserver-sa120-rackmount-das.6829/#post-60448

But again the SE-3016 looks like a good alternative.

I did however reach the conclusion that we can move the motherboard, cpu and ram from the old server to a new storage chassi instead of getting a separate DAS. Will be a lower power-bill to scrap the current chassi we are using (which is a supermicro 8x2.5'' but we need 3.5'' now for large drives) and we can re-use the existing raid-card.

Going down that route some alternatives seems to be:
- Inter-Tech IPC 3U-3316L (16 Bay, no psu, ebay europe)
- X-Case RM 316 Pro (16 bay, psu, xcase.co.uk europe)

Or maybe a old HP DL180 G6 will do if the current supermicro motherboard can fit in it.

Decisions decisions decisions....
SA120 does take SATA. You need to make sure your plugged into the main IOCC or they won't work, But I have 12 WD RED Pros in one now. They work great and for what you get, you can't beat the price on a SA120.

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
A clarification :) We have a new separate SAN unit. We want to convert the old SAN unit to a backup server (so backups will be keept on a separate server from the SAN).

Now i have been digging more on the new chassi route since the DAS alternative looks less tempting now.

One good alternative here in europe looks like Inter-Tech IPC 3U-3316L. But i need to buy power supplies separately,

Does any one know how server power supply compatibility looks?
I.e the manufacturer says the chassi takes
* 2HU Server-Power supply (optional)
* 3HU Server-Power supply (optional)

But how do i know which 2/3HU server-power supplies that are compatible? Can i use any server-psu that has the correct number of outgoing connectors?

And a addon-question. What server-power supply manufacturers are any good?