Cheap Asrock WC621D8A Skylake/Cascade Lake Xeon Workstation Boards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
That is my understanding as well. I see reports that all but the high-amperage xeons do work
only SKUs with TDC higher than 228A are incompatible with some motherboards.
I also see that qs xeons work
not the QS of the high TDC ones. the QS of Plat.8259CL is 8259L
appreciable difference being the hp is not amenable to bios modification.
HP/intel removed microcode of (the good) 2nd Gen ES (A0 stepping 50655) in recent BIOSs.

zachj

Apr 17, 2019
only SKUs with TDC higher than 228A are incompatible with some motherboards.

not the QS of the high TDC ones. the QS of Plat.8259CL is 8259L

HP/intel removed microcode of (the good) 2nd Gen ES (A0 stepping 50655) in recent BIOSs.
We are in violent agreement on what the HP supports.

My point is only that this same level of support describes rather a lot of s3647 motherboards; it’s a mischaracterization to say that this is specific to hp or to oem workstations. Only a handful of retail motherboards work out of box with off-roadmap high-amperage/ES cpus without requiring bios modifications or hardware modifications.

I can’t speak for the other workstations but we agree the HP will even support ES cpus as long as you are willing to run an older bios, meaning the only thing it doesn’t support in any circumstance is high-amperage cpus.

I’ll grant you that the high amperage xeons are the cheaper ones but I’m guessing almost everyone here who can afford this class of hardware in their house probably has a pretty high opportunity cost for their time; it’s just cheaper to buy the more expensive lower-amperage CL parts than to spend hours hacking a motherboard.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Nabla: The ebay 8259CL you picked is from Sunnyvale California. I can tell you some stories about CPUs on ebay from there. I consider this an invalid comparison pricewise. Pictured item is not what you will get. You will get trash. Depending on what corner of CPU hit the trash bin first, either non-working CPU at all or missing DIMM slot or misbehaving PCIe slots or unstable. Don't buy used 82xx from USA, especially the west coast. Yes, I am still angry.

Also please don't mock Rollo for trying to make his postings fool-proof. I know EPYC will not work in 3647 socket, you know it, he knows it, most know it. But it is not a stretch to imagine the EPYC interjection by the poster was in error, thinking he/she could just swap EPYC for 2nd gen Scalable.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Nabla: The ebay 8259CL you picked is from Sunnyvale California. I can tell you some stories about CPUs on ebay from there. I consider this an invalid comparison pricewise. Pictured item is not what you will get. You will get trash. Depending on what corner of CPU hit the trash bin first, either non-working CPU at all or missing DIMM slot or misbehaving PCIe slots or unstable. Don't buy used 82xx from USA, especially the west coast. Yes, I am still angry.
...what?

The 8259CL I picked are from Ireland and have arrived in pristine condition.

Also please don't mock Rollo for trying to make his postings fool-proof. I know EPYC will not work in 3647 socket, you know it, he knows it, most know it. But it is not a stretch to imagine the EPYC interjection by the poster was in error, thinking he/she could just swap EPYC for 2nd gen Scalable.
...what

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Nabla: Looks like I lost track of my open tabs. My bad, apologies. Edit: 82xx from USA still suck the big one.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
What’s not good about Xeon Gold 6268CL?
6268CL Google Cloud
it seems it has issues like the 8273CL(Google Cloud) BIOS stops at 79 or 92 on supermicro X11
was reported not working on Dell 7920
but HP should be fine.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
My posting about epyc wasn't about literally dropping an EPYC cpu into the WC621D8A MB.

My point was that yes, the board might be cheap but the needed cpu is not cheap relatively. And compared to 2011v3/v4 dual cpu raw performance/$ just not very impressive. I am not denying that there is some efficiency benefits but it just that the intel scalable doesn't feel like a bargain. Furthermore, it seems like you can get a current EPYC for better performance/$ if you want to go higher than 2011 v3/4.

And if you really want to go higher, something like EPYC 7702 is gonna give you enough performance that it would be hardpress or impossible to find with intel for the price.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
My posting about epyc wasn't about literally dropping an EPYC cpu into the WC621D8A MB
sure not. but this is great deal about a cheap WC621D8 board with 12 phase VRM (600Watts, strong OC capabilities)
if you recommend EPYC you should involve the costs for a SP3 motherboard to your calculation.

Roy68

Apr 13, 2016
My posting about epyc wasn't about literally dropping an EPYC cpu into the WC621D8A MB.

My point was that yes, the board might be cheap but the needed cpu is not cheap relatively. And compared to 2011v3/v4 dual cpu raw performance/$ just not very impressive. I am not denying that there is some efficiency benefits but it just that the intel scalable doesn't feel like a bargain. Furthermore, it seems like you can get a current EPYC for better performance/$ if you want to go higher than 2011 v3/4.

And if you really want to go higher, something like EPYC 7702 is gonna give you enough performance that it would be hardpress or impossible to find with intel for the price.
Sure, but Scalable will fall in price just like 2011 V1,V2, V3, V4 did. If you wait for those prices before buying mobo, all the best deals are already gone

nexox

May 3, 2023
Xeon Gold 6132s are already cheaper than e5-2690 v4s, there are occasional deals to found on boards (like this) and ebay has plenty of workstations at nice prices, all of which can be upgraded to Cascade Lake when those drop in price, plus you get 20% more PCIe lanes and 50% more memory channels per socket.

Reactions: wildpig1234

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Quick question about these skylake and cascade lake: so the platinum ones can be used with 8 socket, 4 sockets, 2 socket boards. gold with 4 and 2 sockets, and silver and bronze with 2 sockets ?

it's not like 2011 when you have the E7 and E5 situation that cannot be used interchangeably right?

Btw, I like the fact that AVX 512 is included. I am warming up to it a bit now...lol..

nexox

May 3, 2023
Quick question about these skylake and cascade lake: so the platinum ones can be used with 8 socket, 4 sockets, 2 socket boards. gold with 4 and 2 sockets, and silver and bronze with 2 sockets ?
That was the initial idea but of course Intel couldn't stay consistent so now you kind of need to check Ark for each chip to be sure.

Reactions: wildpig1234

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
That was the initial idea but of course Intel couldn't stay consistent so now you kind of need to check Ark for each chip to be sure.
So you can use platinum in any socket but bronze and silver can only be used with 2 socket servers? or can you actually put the silver and bronze cpu in an 8 socket board (but only able to use 1 and 2 cpu)?