Cheap Asrock WC621D8A Skylake/Cascade Lake Xeon Workstation Boards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

reasonsandreasons

May 16, 2022
Epyc has higher raw performance, but I believe you'll have generally higher idle power consumption on 7001/7002 boards. Not sure about 7003 and 7004, though.

Last edited:

Roy68

Apr 13, 2016
Seems like EPYC would be better?
Yes I thought about EPYC but the higher clocks with Xeon W series processors sold me on this board for my use case, and of course the board price. I managed to bag a 12 core W-3235 3.3Ghz which turbos to 4.5Ghz for a reasonable price, would prefer more cores too but the higher end used Ws are few and far between so far

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
EPYC doesn't support Optane DCPMM (which can be nice). Also, even if you take cheap 7302 into account, Platinum CPUs like 8259CL can be found for very little money.

It's a matter of taste - Both have their pros and cons
8259CL costs $250 each, hardly little money! You can get dual 2680v4 with comparable or even slightly better performance for $30 total!

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
eBay just sets a bar. So if someone would offer you 8259CL for less than the cheapest eBay price, you would buy it. Like with this board, no one would buy above 160US$ now. But that's not the real market, because you don't know whats paid from private offerings. So don't say 2680 v4s are the better deal because they are cheaper and perform slightly better.

If you have double the performance in dual socket mode in some cases, you can expect a higher price. If you also include savings that you can achieve with 8259CLs vs 2680 v4s, I stand by my opinion that you are very mistaken here. This board, as an example, allows you to run 256GB extra RAM from Optanes for ~70-80US$ (2x128GB). You may get 128GB of DDR4 2400Mhc ECC for 100US$. But with these Optanes you dont even need an Optane drive as cache drive or vm store or whatever. You are out here with the 2680 v4 and need to run an extra PCIe device, that sucks available lanes, not able to achive the same performance etc. So you get where this is leading. Don't make these comparisons. Specially with a 8259CL/8222CL and a Broadwell.

And this is an awesome cheap board and it deserves a powerful Scalable Gen2 CPU.

Reactions: Roy68

Roy68

Apr 13, 2016
I see the available boards on ebay has gone down a few yesterday, should've asked the guy for a cut!

Roy68

Apr 13, 2016
eBay just sets a bar. So if someone would offer you 8259CL for less than the cheapest eBay price, you would buy it. Like with this board, no one would buy above 160US$ now. But that's not the real market, because you don't know whats paid from private offerings. So don't say 2680 v4s are the better deal because they are cheaper and perform slightly better.

If you have double the performance in dual socket mode in some cases, you can expect a higher price. If you also include savings that you can achieve with 8259CLs vs 2680 v4s, I stand by my opinion that you are very mistaken here. This board, as an example, allows you to run 256GB extra RAM from Optanes for ~70-80US$ (2x128GB). You may get 128GB of DDR4 2400Mhc ECC for 100US$. But with these Optanes you dont even need an Optane drive as cache drive or vm store or whatever. You are out here with the 2680 v4 and need to run an extra PCIe device, that sucks available lanes, not able to achive the same performance etc. So you get where this is leading. Don't make these comparisons. Specially with a 8259CL/8222CL and a Broadwell.

And this is an awesome cheap board and it deserves a powerful Scalable Gen2 CPU.
Also have to consider price of cooling a second socket, these coolers ain't cheap, I paid £110 for the Noctua which really hurt. But maybe you guys not using a PC case? Interested to hear what people using for 3647 cooling.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
eBay just sets a bar. So if someone would offer you 8259CL for less than the cheapest eBay price, you would buy it. Like with this board, no one would buy above 160US$ now. But that's not the real market, because you don't know whats paid from private offerings.
I would expect (or hope) most to pay below that bar.
If a 8259CL is 236$ as the bar now id expect to pay 140-200 area.

The listed prices feels like they are getting further and further away from what they will let it go for.

Beyond that normal rate of brokers/recycling accepting 10-30% below asking offers even for single units, the private offers if you add it to watchlist is getting more and more agressive.
Last 6148 cpus i bought was listed at 85$, put on watchlist and got auto-offered 59,5$ within the hour.
So really that is what they expected to sell at, offered 20% below that and accepted at 48$.

It feels like almost back to commercial pricing, its so common for people to watchlist it to see what discount they get that the listed prices are getting inflated.
So you have to wait to see the real price as you get the offer.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I understand that there are some benefits to the Xeon Scalable compared to 2011 v4 but it just seems like the raw $/performance ratio just isn't quite so good

zachj

Apr 17, 2019
While I freely admit this board offers more bios flexibility than an oem workstation I think by the time you get done building on top of this an hp z6 g4 would be materially cheaper. Dell or Lenovo same story.

Curious why one would choose this over a cheaper oem workstation?

Hp z6 g4 is quiet as a church mouse.

Reactions: Roy68

Roy68

Apr 13, 2016
While I freely admit this board offers more bios flexibility than an oem workstation I think by the time you get done building on top of this an hp z6 g4 would be materially cheaper. Dell or Lenovo same story.

Curious why one would choose this over a cheaper oem workstation?

Hp z6 g4 is quiet as a church mouse.
Long time ago I had a HP Z600, very nice machine, very quiet, compact and exceptional build quality. But when it came to CPU upgrades, HP's CPU support list was very limited. Always felt HP put up lots of barriers to prevent you from going outside their ecosystem (with juicy fat markups).
It's a great hassle free option if you're not interested in ugrading later. I'd have one again but would need to be rock bottom price.
I'd never buy a used raw HP or Dell Mobo for same reason unless I was going to slot it into the approved case.
Plus I understand the machine much better and learn a lot more if I build myself, helps if things go wrong later.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Brand name WS are shit when it comes to ES, QS, and OEM cpus. MB from Asus and Supermicro might be a bit more expensive but allow for more flexibility later.

Reactions: unwind-protect

zachj

Apr 17, 2019
does Hp z6 g4 run cheap OEMs like 8259CL,8222CL,8275CL,8272CL by default ?
Brand name WS are shit when it comes to ES, QS, and OEM cpus. MB from Asus and Supermicro might be a bit more expensive but allow for more flexibility later.
we’re going to find out real soon because I’ve got a *CL Xeon and a Z6 G4 sitting in my office as I write this. Just need to locate my thermal paste.

zachj

Apr 17, 2019
not all *CL do not work.
That is my understanding as well. I see reports that all but the high-amperage xeons do work. I also see that qs xeons work, as well as reports that es xeons work on certain older bios versions—essentially the same story as most s3647 motherboards, with the only appreciable difference being the hp is not amenable to bios modification.

I get that the STH crowd are a certain type of folks but even within this audience I think bios modding might be interesting to no more than about 10% of people.

im interested (and have even done it) but at this stage in my life I’ll spend a bit more money to avoid hours of fiddling with something. Two kids under three years forces one to make priorities :cool: