Cheap 1U 4 bay LFF with a XpDRW-7TPF $99.95 with free shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Very nice shame I can't get anything like this in EU
Disker out of Germany usualy has a bit of supermicro 1U stuff.

Majority of EU sellers feels like they dont know how searching or keywords work tho, so can look at their newly listeds and find what you just searched for with 0 results as they used a longer/wrong sku without seperating it etc.
Or the favorite of some, only use the sku of a specific vendor bundle and not putting mobo/case/hba etc models at all.

Last edited:

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
Disker out of Germany usualy has a bit of supermicro 1U stuff.

Majority of EU sellers feels like they dont know how searching or keywords work tho, so can look at their newly listeds and find what you just searched for with 0 results as they used a longer/wrong sku without seperating it etc.
Or the favorite of some, only use the sku of a specific vendor bundle and not putting mobo/case/hba etc models at all.
You shoul really write ebay search guide.

Reactions: Samir

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
You shoul really write ebay search guide.
For Europe it almost would need to start with a "European equivalents" type guide/list.

Almost all hardware guides are US based, so people are often looking for stuff rarely used in Europe.
While the equivalents are often cheaper than even the US stuff since lack of interest/demand.

Its really a buyers market in Europe at times tho, since they have such a problem moving stuff not popular in US.
You can literally sell a R730xd for more than a intel branded scalable server with 12x U.2 nvme + 12x sas/sata backplane in Europe.

Reactions: Samir

Shalita

Jan 17, 2022
dumb question, can i use this case to mount any atx board ? or is it only limited to its own mb ?

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
dumb question, can i use this case to mount any atx board ? or is it only limited to its own mb ?
No i would guess.
If you really want to be sure go check SM website they list mobo compatibility with their cases or ask their support.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
chassis is 819, designed for UIO layout, but it might work with ATX if you remove the riser bracket
if it’s got an X9 board installed, it will (should) have the newer WIO rear window installed,so conceivably be able to take a newer WIO format board as a drop in replacement (assuming the power supply cables are long enough. X9DRW is pretty big after all, so the power supply cables are likely to be short.

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I gave up a long time ago trying to get non SM MB's to fit in a SM chassis. Too many issues and unknown gottacha's.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I gave up a long time ago trying to get non SM MB's to fit in a SM chassis. Too many issues and unknown gottacha's.
Yeah, there's definitely issues. Some of the stuff I've found:

• Non-SM motherboard will usually require a front panel breakout cable like CBL-0084L
  • Any chassis with redundant/removable power supplies that originally housed a UIO/WIO/SSI-EEB/SSI-CEB or other really large sized Supermicro motherboard will probably have internal power supply cables that are too short to reach an ATX/MATX motherboard. So, extensions will probably be required.
  • Any chassis that originally housed a UIO/WIO/SSI-EEB/SSI-CEB or other large motherboard will probably have fan wall cables that are too short to reach headers on an ATX/MATX motherboard and ,depending on the non-SM motherboard's layout, may be too short to reach fan headers on larger non-SM boards either.
  • Any chassis that originally housed a UIO/WIO motherboard will (usually) need a different rear window. Sometimes, you can get lucky and a single slot on a non-Supermicro motherboard will line up with a riser to make use of a WIO rear window. This isn't guaranteed, and you'll still only get use of one slot that way.
  • Repositionable motherboard standoffs are handy, until one discovers that the motherboard the chassis originally came with had fewer standoff holes than the motherboard you want to install and you're short a few standoffs. Finding extra supermicro standoffs can be a challenge sometimes. Especially at 2:00am on a Saturday night in the 'ol homelab :p .
  • Power Supply SMB header pinouts aren't standardized. So, there's no guarantee that supermicro's SMB cable will work.

Other than that...its a piece of cake!!!

Reactions: rtech and Fritz

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
Yep! It's not too bad, though. The UIO/WIO riser issue is a given in 1U, no matter what board or chassis. I've enjoyed the 2U 825/826-LP that take standard half-height PCIe cards. And of course 836/846 are fine.

For PSU cables, the PDB without 'S' in the suffix (e.g., 8824 rather than S8824) have 32cm ATX cables, and extensions are cheap.

Regarding standoffs, if no time to get more from SM, you could temporarily use rubber bumpons, or even leave it unsupported. It's ok to have a mounting hole on the motherboard without a matching standoff in the chassis. It's not ok to have an extra standoff rubbing where there isn't a matching hole.

Reactions: Markess