Changing raid card: Supermicro 3108L to LSI 9631

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dude05

Nov 19, 2016
My friends raid controller failed and we send back the card to replace but RMA is taking too long and the reseller gave us an LSI 9631.

Is it suppose to autodetect the existing raid ? or do we have to import the raid into the new card? can it cause data loss?? suppose if we try to import and it doesnt show the existing raid, can we still use a new 3108L when we get it to get the raid back???

what are the chances of complete data loss in this case??

all advices and suggestions are appreciated. first time dealing with LSI cards.

thankssss

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
The SM cards are based on LSI chipset's as I remember, so that shouldn't be a problem. Depending on the state the array was in when it failed, you may have to import it for it to be recognised again. As a precaution, if your data is critical and not already backed up, I would remove/ replace one disk at a time and image them, something like dd would do you for this, being careful not to move them around :)

Reactions: dude05

dude05

Nov 19, 2016
Have a look here: Fixing a drive labeled foreign by a LSI/ Avago SAS controller
You probably need to go into the config and scan for foreign disks then import them
thats about clearing foreign configuration right?? which means my existing raid will be wiped??? I got 2x raid5 in there with 11 drives and 1x hotspare for each. its a 24x 3.5 supermicro server. raidcontroller failed and dropped in new 9361 and tried to import the configuration.

Meanwhile, i couldnt get into webbios. ctrl+H doesnt work. :( any idea if its essential to go into webbios to import foreign config to recover the existing raid?

thanks

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Are you able to try a Supermicro card? I don't like changing vendors when it comes to hardware RAID arrays.
Some don't play nice with each other.

dude05

Nov 19, 2016
Are you able to try a Supermicro card? I don't like changing vendors when it comes to hardware RAID arrays.
Some don't play nice with each other.
Been waiting for rma for a long time

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

dude05

Nov 19, 2016
Are you sure all of your drives are being detected? The error message seems to say that there are not enough drives connected to import the foreign config and have it work.
There was one failed card before the controller failed. Raid was rebuild already usin hot spare. So we send both the card nd hdd together for rma. Hvnt dropped the hdd bak in since hotspare took over. Will drop in the hdd nd test again. Thanks for asking that question. It could be the reason.

dude05

Nov 19, 2016
There was one failed card before the controller failed. Raid was rebuild already usin hot spare. So we send both the card nd hdd together for rma. Hvnt dropped the hdd bak in since hotspare took over. Will drop in the hdd nd test again. Thanks for asking that question. It could be the reason.

Sorry took a while to update. Aftr 2 months frm the day we sent the faulty card, we got the new replacement card. Nd everything worked without any additional input.