Changing machine type and model number of an IBM SVC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jbv1982

Nov 5, 2017
Long time reader, first time poster:

I acquired six IBM 2145-DH8 SAN Volume Controllers. The boot drives have been wiped and I can’t get IBM to do anything without purchasing a support contract that would cost more than all of the units.

So these are just IBM x3650-M4s with 2.5 GHz Ivy Bridge/2560v2 CPUs and a backplane that includes a UPS where the second hard drive backplane would be.

I’m attempting to resale some of them, and wanted to see if anyone could help me with changing the machine type/model of them fro 2145-DH8 to 7195-G3x. I haven’t had much luck so far, and they’re from the time when Lenovo bought IBM so they’re kind of in limbo. Still, they work with all the regular System x parts and without any modification I have one running ESXi with dual CPUs and 128GBs of RAM. There seems to be no difference with the system board, just different firmware which I’ve already wiped but I’d like to make them look and act more “official” than they do now.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I know most IBM HMC’s (hardware management consoles for managing p series hardware) used to have an option to change the model of the hardware in bios. I don’t think you had to do anything special to find it and change the string. I assume you have hunted around the bios though ?