Changing fan settings in FRUSDR on Intel S2600CP2J - noob

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Shawneau

Jan 17, 2018
Hi everyone, I've got a used Intel S2600CP2j board that came out of a 1u server with a ton of fans. I'm putting it in a case that will have just two sys fans running and of course the CPU fans... The BIOS is indeed up to date already. How do I go about getting into the FRU/SDR set up to choose which fans I actually have installed? My understanding is that if it's looking for like 5 fans and I only have 2, it'll run everything at 100% (including the CPU fan) to compensate so I need to change this so it'll modulate based on cpu temp etc.

Do I need to reset the BIOS before or after doing any kind of change like this?

I have the computer partially built on my desk with no fans other than cpu fan attached and running. The computer posts no problem it's just that the CPU fan is going full blast when CPU temp is like 25 degrees C.

I'm new to server gear and would really appreciate any help.

Last edited:
May 4, 2015
take a usb drive and format it to fat32
dump the files from here: Download Intel® Server Board S2600CP Firmware Update Package for EFI
on the root of the flash drive
boot to the uefi console and run through the process. it will ask about updating the SDR/FDR information and this is where you can tell it what fans are connected to the motherboard.

there are a few other threads on here about hack the sdr file to control the speed of the fans. I didnt have a lot of luck in this regards on my systems, so I just replaced the fans with some Noctua's. Your mileage may vary.

Shawneau

Jan 17, 2018
take a usb drive and format it to fat32
dump the files from here: Download Intel® Server Board S2600CP Firmware Update Package for EFI
on the root of the flash drive
boot to the uefi console and run through the process. it will ask about updating the SDR/FDR information and this is where you can tell it what fans are connected to the motherboard.

there are a few other threads on here about hack the sdr file to control the speed of the fans. I didnt have a lot of luck in this regards on my systems, so I just replaced the fans with some Noctua's. Your mileage may vary.
Thanks I actually figured this out on my own but your answer is correct, I read the readme in the download from intel and found out how to just run the update for SDR/FDR and skip updating the BIOS as it was already up to date. Amber warning light on board has stopped and the CPU fan is modulating it's speed as it should, much better. Thanks