Change port type on Connectx-2 Dual Port Cards

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PnoT, Jun 1, 2015.

1. PnoT

PnoT Active Member

I have a Dell C6100 with Connectx-2 daughter cards that are supposed to do IB in one port and Ethernet in another. The documentation for my card states that the only IB/Ethernet scenario supported is Port 1 IB and Port 2 ETH. I have my connections setup properly yet I'm having mixed results in the cards rediscovering their setup for ETH now. I have 1 server, after a reboot, show up with 1 port IB and the other listed as Ethernet but the other 3 nodes are not auto discovering properly.

The documentation says to go into device manager and under the properties of the adapter there should be a "Port Configuration" tab... ugh NOT. I ran across this post where the guy has no tab either but was able to change the settings via mlxconfig. MCX354A-FCBT does not show "Port Protocol" tab ... | Mellanox Interconnect Community

Mlxconfig says it does not support my device when trying to query it or manage it in any way. The documentation seems to back that up as well as my device is MT26428.

Can someone shed some light on how I can get these ports configured properly?

2. PnoT

PnoT Active Member

I'm still looking for the answer on how to set the ports via cmd line or another method BUT I did manage to get things working.

The manual states:

upload_2015-6-1_23-8-22.png

upload_2015-6-1_23-9-27.png

So according to the above I should have IB in Port 1 and Ethernet in Port 2 but it's the exact opposite as that setup completely sends my servers into a panic and nothing works or comes online. If I switch them so Ethernet is Port 1 and IB is Port 2 everything works fine.

In Device Manager IB is Location 1 and Eth Location 2 so they must have screwed up the picture above unless someone else has an explanation that I've missed.

3. RacerX

RacerX New Member

I know this post is ancient but I never really seen an answer to the question. Overall, the Connectx-2 MT26428 can be a real pain to install correctly. Last night I stumbled into the fact that it works with Windows 2012 R2.

First get the latest firmware from Mellanox.
    Install Windows 20012 R2
    Device Manager displays
    The top port supports Infiniband.
    The bottom port supports 10GB Ethernet.

I tested the bottom port and it works properly at 10GB

4. david thuong

david thuong New Member

hello,
    how to change type port in rehat. please help me.