Celestica Questone 2A D3030 whitebox switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

patchate

Jul 3, 2016
Anyone else have this switch?

I recently acquired a Celestica Questone 2A D3030. It's a 48x 25Gbe with 8x 100Gbe ports. Includes a management port, console serial port and a USB port in the back for access. It's of more recent manufacture (July of 2022, at least for the one I got) and is Denverton based system.

I was quite wary about getting this switch at first because I couldn't find any usable NOS. SONiC, as awful as it may be for every day use, does work reasonably well for L2 without any fiddling of configuration and is affordable for an enthusiast like me (aka "free".) Officially, this particular switch is not on a supported list on the SONiC website... but there's an official supported NOS called BISDN Linux.

Configuration isn't as nice as using Aristas, but is at least preferable over SONiC in my opinion. Essentially, it relies on Linux iproute2 with systemctl for persisting configuration. If you're familiar with configuring linux/freebsd as a router/firewall, you'll feel right at home. I've gotten L2 line-rate switching to work across both 25Gbe and 100Gbe interfaces. It's kind of finicky with transceivers though, but at least the cheap ebay Intel CWDM4 modules work reliably. I've gotten my hands on some Huawei 25G SFP28 modules, they're on my test todo list.

L3 switching configuration does seem to work as well. I haven't done traffic test with L3 routing, but at least configuration-wise BGP and OSPF protocols makes the switch visible to other routers...

Overall, pretty nice switch. It's done everything I've asked of it so far. Wish I could get its fan speed to wind down a bit to increase the WAF, but I guess I can't have everything in life.

onlpdump gets me this info:

System Information: = {
Product Name: D3030
Part Number: R1156-F9007-01
Serial Number: D3030F2B[redacted]
MAC: 00:e0:ec:f4:0d:10
MAC Range: 84
Manufacturer: Celestica
Manufacture Date: 07/30/2022 00:21:47
Vendor: Celestica
Platform Name: Denverton
Device Version: 3
Label Revision: Questone-IIA
Country Code: THA
Diag Version: 1.1.19
Service Tag: LB
ONIE Version: 2020.05.0.0.1
}

powerstroke

Sep 20, 2021
Would you mind answering a few questions for me? I recently purchased an HPE FM 3180 (R1N26A) which is apparently this exact switch. I did not receive the switch yet, so I have no idea what's running on it, but I have a feeling I will have to install something.

This is my first experience with this kind of switch, so I know nothing about installing a NOS or this switch.

HPE states they have a "composable fabric manager" software that can be used with the switch, but of course it's locked behind their stupid paywalls.

All I need is L2 connectivity through 25GbE DAC's.

What's the basic process for getting this switch up and running?

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Thanks for sharing @patchate. I guess these guys didn't create the abstraction layer to detect sensors? Does lm-sensors's sensors-detect see anything? Their FAQ states both PSUs need to be inserted and powered on otherwise fans spin at 100%. While the images are freely available it's not open source.

@powerstroke, if you want to try it, just perform a web search on "bisdn linux" and the first hit will be their website at BISDN Linux. The Getting Started section should tell you how to install it.

powerstroke

Sep 20, 2021
@powerstroke, if you want to try it, just perform a web search on "bisdn linux" and the first hit will be their website at BISDN Linux. The Getting Started section should tell you how to install it.
[/QUOTE]

The only issue is I believe this switch is not supported by BISDN. Not sure if the FM 3180 is a 2 or 2a.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Why did you buy this switch? It would have been a better bet to get a DX010 instead. If you're concerned about the Atom C2000 B0-stepping bug, just ask the seller its manufactured date and choose something 2018 or later.

patchate

Jul 3, 2016
Would you mind answering a few questions for me? I recently purchased an HPE FM 3180 (R1N26A) which is apparently this exact switch. I did not receive the switch yet, so I have no idea what's running on it, but I have a feeling I will have to install something.

This is my first experience with this kind of switch, so I know nothing about installing a NOS or this switch.

HPE states they have a "composable fabric manager" software that can be used with the switch, but of course it's locked behind their stupid paywalls.

All I need is L2 connectivity through 25GbE DAC's.

What's the basic process for getting this switch up and running?
If it's just a questone 2, you could probably run sonic on it. Personally, not a big fan of sonic though.

If it's a questone 2a, yes BISDN linux will work on it for sure. It feels kind of hack-ish just editing config files, but it feels so much more uniform than sonic.

I'm not sure how HP fabric manager system works, so I have no idea. If it is the exact same hardware as questone 2a, there's a m.2 SSD stick from which software boots so you should be able to put a grub loader and just install BISDN linux from there.

patchate

Jul 3, 2016
Thanks for sharing @patchate. I guess these guys didn't create the abstraction layer to detect sensors? Does lm-sensors's sensors-detect see anything? Their FAQ states both PSUs need to be inserted and powered on otherwise fans spin at 100%. While the images are freely available it's not open source.

Yeah, I don't think it does. Fan speed cannot be controlled, though the noise itself is not too debilitating. It's not as quiet as Arista switches with their fan settings set to minimum rpm (which is 30%) - maybe equivalent to the noise level of the Arista switches set at around 55%.

The way BISDN controls the switch is by having a wrapper executable around Broadcom's openflow dataplane abstraction tool that directly interfaces with the chip. Anything you can assign commands using the OFDPA tool, you can make this switch do via the BISDN command "client_drivshell". Unfortunately, fan speed control I think is controlled by the operating system hardware rather than the Broadcom chip itself and that doesn't seem to be available option within BISDN linux itself. :(

deimosian

Aug 27, 2021
Just in case anyone else comes across this, the HPE FM 3180 (R1N26A) is a Questone 2 (not 2A) and isn't in the master branch of sonic yet but there's some builds for it.