Celestica Questone 2 (D3030) NOS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I take it you received the switch? Does it have ONIE installed?

If it does you can issue onie-syseeprom and it will tell you the product name tso you could check if it's a D3030. If it is then it should work with BISDN. Their description isn't very clear as they mention both 2 and 2A (Celestica Questone 2 D3030 (Questone 2A)). If you're desperate it wouldn't hurt to join their Slack community and ask.

powerstroke

Sep 20, 2021
I take it you received the switch? Does it have ONIE installed?

If it does you can issue onie-syseeprom and it will tell you the product name tso you could check if it's a D3030. If it is then it should work with BISDN. Their description isn't very clear as they mention both 2 and 2A (Celestica Questone 2 D3030 (Questone 2A)). If you're desperate it wouldn't hurt to join their Slack community and ask.
Yes I got the switch. It has ONIE but that's it. I'll check that command result when I get home. It is definitely a D3030 2 (not 2a), which apparently someone else tried with BISDN and it did not work.

I heard someone getting it to work with Cumulus, but they needed a license for it to work.

I just need basic L2 switching, nothing fancy. I did see some similar models (not from Celestica) that have the same port config and say they're broadcom, so not sure if their NOS's would work?

Seems like I'm out of a luck and have a paperweight. Would be really nice if I could actually use the cool hardware it has.

powerstroke

Sep 20, 2021
Could you share a link to these other switches?
If you go here: Hardware Compatibility List

and search by ports (48x25G + 8x100G) several models come up, including:

QuantaMesh T4048-IX8Intel C2558BCM56873 (Trident 3)48x25G + 8x100GAMI 2.16.1242master-201605171639masterONL Certified GoldFeb-28-2018

AS7326-56XIntel Xeon D-1518BCM56873 (Trident3)48x25G + 8x100G + 2x10GNone2019.02masterONL CertifiedFeb-07-2019OCP Accepted

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
If it is a Trident 3 and the port configuration isn't stored in the firmware, you might be able to run the SONiC for Seastone_2 since that is also x86 and Trident 3. The images are all the same for each ASIC and CPU combination, but I haven't looked into the SONiC architecture to find out how it knows the switch topology. Maybe it requires in-firmware mapping files.

powerstroke

Sep 20, 2021
If it is a Trident 3 and the port configuration isn't stored in the firmware, you might be able to run the SONiC for Seastone_2 since that is also x86 and Trident 3. The images are all the same for each ASIC and CPU combination, but I haven't looked into the SONiC architecture to find out how it knows the switch topology. Maybe it requires in-firmware mapping files.
Just tried sonic-broadcom and ONIE said it was the wrong ASIC.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Whitebox NOSes use small kernel modules that have the platform/architecture's name per the attributes in the FRU/syseeprom. While the ASIC is the same the interface from user-land would be different--though not necessary unique--between each model. I suppose one could always copy a switch's modules and rename them to the intended target but I've never tried that.

powerstroke

Sep 20, 2021
So I found out it's identifying itself as x86_64_cel_questone_2_r0

I'm not even sure where to get started with this. I wish there was an OS I could just install and be done with it. I may have to just return the switch and buy something else. Such a shame.

Apparently these used to be Plexxi switches before HPE bought them, and I'm guessing there are versions of their NOS that work, but I have no idea where I'd find archives like that.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I never looked deeper into Plexxi stuff but it looks like the NOS installed in the switch might require a software component behind a paywall.