Celestica D4040

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

okrasit

Jun 28, 2019
From what I read on different forums this fix is only to prolong the life of the unit because at some point they will still fail and they cannot be repaired anymore.

Is it true or it can be considered a permanent fix?
I'd say, it can be a "permanent" fix. The problem is, the worse the degradation on the LPC_CLOCKOUT port has gotten, the lower value resistor you need to use for the pull-up. Lower the pull-up resistance, higher the load on the low side switch, which can also break.

120Ohm is a real RISK. I ended up using a 180Ohm on the dead unit. On a used but working unit, 1k2 feels about right.

Reactions: connork and Labs

Labs

Mar 21, 2019
I'd say, it can be a "permanent" fix. The problem is, the worse the degradation on the LPC_CLOCKOUT port has gotten, the lower value resistor you need to use for the pull-up. Lower the pull-up resistance, higher the load on the low side switch, which can also break.

120Ohm is a real RISK. I ended up using a 180Ohm on the dead unit. On a used but working unit, 1k2 feels about right.
Thanks for details. I looked over some forum threads for Cisco routers affected by this bug and the fix they used was 150Ohm (≤1%) (SMD 18A).

Regards!

Reactions: okrasit

devin_mm

May 7, 2019
I would love to use sonic (or really anything) as I currently don't have a functional OS on my switch.

okrasit

Jun 28, 2019
Could someone try, with a working link, if the transceiver ChannelMonitorValues work?
I'm not getting those with my Finisar transceivers.
Code:
show interfaces transceiver eeprom -d

Ethernet96: SFP EEPROM detected
        Connector: MPOx12
        Encoding: 64B66B
        Extended Identifier: Power Class 1(1.5W max), CLEI present
        Extended RateSelect Compliance: QSFP+ Rate Select Version 1
        Identifier: QSFP+ or later
        Length OM3(2m): 50
        Nominal Bit Rate(100Mbs): 103
        Specification compliance:
                10/40G Ethernet Compliance Code: 40GBASE-SR4
                Fibre Channel link length/Transmitter Technology: Short distance (S)
                Fibre Channel transmission media: Shielded Twisted Pair (TP)
        Vendor Date Code(YYYY-MM-DD Lot): 2015-05-11
        Vendor Name: FINISAR CORP
        Vendor OUI: 00-90-65
        Vendor PN: FTL410QE2C
        Vendor Rev: A
        Vendor SN: XTG04EH
        ChannelMonitorValues:
                RX1Power: -infdBm
                RX2Power: -infdBm
                RX3Power: -infdBm
                RX4Power: -infdBm
                TX1Bias: 0.0000mA
                TX2Bias: 0.0000mA
                TX3Bias: 0.0000mA
                TX4Bias: 0.0000mA
        ModuleMonitorValues:
                Temperature: 31.6836C
                Vcc: 3.2948Volts

okrasit

Jun 28, 2019
@okrasit, any idea what the pinout is for the board to board connectors?
sort of, the "left side" 2.54 pins are for power, pcie can be traced coming off the cpu. So there's LPC & pcie + uart + ethernet coming on to those two "dense" connectors. It also crossed my mind, to replace the whole atom board with some itx x99 + 2600 v4 xeon ;)

Reactions: ggpwnkthx

ggpwnkthx

Jun 15, 2019
sort of, the "left side" 2.54 pins are for power, pcie can be traced coming off the cpu. So there's LPC & pcie + uart + ethernet coming on to those two "dense" connectors. It also crossed my mind, to replace the whole atom board with some itx x99 + 2600 v4 xeon ;)
I'm heading that direction. I've got 2 dead D4040s. They both have different model main boards. One of them I had working on a Friday, but when Monday rolled around it too had a dead console. Frustrating...

I believe the data B2B connectors are a relative of the Bergstak - 61082-061402LF. 60 pin, dual row, 0.80mm

okrasit

Jun 28, 2019
I'm heading that direction. I've got 2 dead D4040s. They both have different model main boards. One of them I had working on a Friday, but when Monday rolled around it too had a dead console. Frustrating...

I believe the data B2B connectors are a relative of the Bergstak - 61082-061402LF. 60 pin, dual row, 0.80mm
One other option would be, to use the xo (~14MHz, if I remember correctly) near the cpu as a clock source for a fnpll board to derive the 25MHz clock for the lpc.

ggpwnkthx

Jun 15, 2019
One other option would be, to use the xo (~14MHz, if I remember correctly) near the cpu as a clock source for a fnpll board to derive the 25MHz clock for the lpc.
You're significantly more knowledgeable than I am here, and I'm greatly appreciative of it. I was going to just build myself a breakout board for the B2B connector and run it to Molex iPass receptacle. I've got some old PCIe cables and a few spare One Stop Systems Max Express cards to play with.

I'll should probably start simple, so I guess the first step is to get some PCBs designed for the B2B breakout.

okrasit

Jun 28, 2019
You're significantly more knowledgeable than I am here, and I'm greatly appreciative of it. I was going to just build myself a breakout board for the B2B connector and run it to Molex iPass receptacle. I've got some old PCIe cables and a few spare One Stop Systems Max Express cards to play with.

I'll should probably start simple, so I guess the first step is to get some PCBs designed for the B2B breakout.
It's a very tempting idea. It'd be fast enough to do routing/nat etc on the cpu. hungry.png

ggpwnkthx

Jun 15, 2019
It's a very tempting idea. It'd be fast enough to do routing/nat etc on the cpu. View attachment 11541
The SMT connectors are less than $2.50/ea. I'll have 10 of them in a couple days. ;)

I'll be out of town this weekend, but I should have a rough PCB design by next week. Printing and cutting will take a couple weeks, though.

Any chance you could trace the PCIe pins? Again, you're much more knowledgeable here than I am. If so I can get that into the PCB design, rather than just doing a simple breakout. And If you're willing, I'd love to send you some test boards.

okrasit

Jun 28, 2019
The SMT connectors are less than $2.50/ea. I'll have 10 of them in a couple days. ;)

I'll be out of town this weekend, but I should have a rough PCB design by next week. Printing and cutting will take a couple weeks, though.

Any chance you could trace the PCIe pins? Again, you're much more knowledgeable here than I am. If so I can get that into the PCB design, rather than just doing a simple breakout. And If you're willing, I'd love to send you some test boards.
I did already install the switch in it's place but I'll try to get it done. joy.png

ggpwnkthx

Jun 15, 2019
Plugs were delivered today. Looks like a good fit: Imgur

Still trying to come up with a good way to work the breakout. I'm thinking, for longevity and simplicity, just routing the socket pins 1:1 to a 60 pin 0.5mm FFC socket. 60P 0.5mm FPC to DIP boards are pretty cheap, and that should make development/diagnostics pretty simple.

@okrasit, any obvious errors in my thinking?

okrasit

Jun 28, 2019
Plugs were delivered today. Looks like a good fit: Imgur

Still trying to come up with a good way to work the breakout. I'm thinking, for longevity and simplicity, just routing the socket pins 1:1 to a 60 pin 0.5mm FFC socket. 60P 0.5mm FPC to DIP boards are pretty cheap, and that should make development/diagnostics pretty simple.

@okrasit, any obvious errors in my thinking?
Sounds, and looks, good tup.png